The Republic of Heaven

The Happy Thread

Discuss (almost) absolutely anything here

Re: The Happy Thread

Postby sxygreenshoelace » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:15 am

:D

My boss just text me and told me our store is closed until Monday! And I get paid for tomorrow even though we're off! Woot x2...

:D
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car...

Everyone has photographic memory; some just don't have the film...
sxygreenshoelace
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: geonhope
AOL: sxygreenshoelace

Postby jessia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:17 am

after the most grueling semester of my life thus far (and ever, hopefully) and lots of uncertainty, i got a grade back for the final paper of my favourite class in fall 2010 and i'm really pleased. in addition, the prof (who is, apparently, a big deal) said really nice things about it.

<derives self-worth from academic evaluation>
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Anoria » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:45 pm

- Rental application for a very nice condo has been approved. It's expensive, but it's 30 minutes closer to anywhere I'm likely to find a job, it has a kitchen big enough to use, and the complex has lots of trees. Unless Nathan finds somewhere better and cheaper this week, we're definitely moving there in May. I'm very excited about all the planning and shopping this will require.

- The last science job I applied to hasn't forgotten about me, but instead is actually considering (according to the recruiter middleman who put my name in for the job) interviewing me soon

- I also have an application in to do tech support (meh) at the software company Nathan's mom works for. I don't think it's quite as soul-sucking as normal tech support, since it's for a program used only by schools and I'm used to dealing with those people, and it pays about twice as much as subbing does.

- I'm getting a smartphone.

- My plans for attending Notacon and visiting Michigan next month are looking more and more like they'll work out.

- It's spring! Even if the temperature outside disagrees. Almost gardening season!
Hey baby, what's your callsign?

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Anoria
Solver

AOL: telcontara177

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu May 12, 2011 8:35 am

Okay, so...four years ago, I picked up a book with a very silly-looking cover. It had accidentally been placed on the pile of books given to me at work to review (at that time I was working as a sub-editor at the newspaper where I am still a freelance book-reviewer). The book was called Romanitas, by Sophia McDougall. And it was amazing. I loved it so much. And no one, literally no one I knew, had read it. So I did what I always do when I want to discuss a book: I went online. And there was nothing, no reviews, no forums, no fans. Well, I thought, I shall make a fandom myself. So I started up a fanblog.

I met a couple of fellow fans this way, but what was really important was that McDougall herself got in touch. We friended each other on Twitter. We friended each other on Facebook. She started up a Livejournal, and we became friends there too. Somewhere around this point, we started discussing things other than her books, just generally participating in discussions in the online literary community.

And the third book in the series is coming out on 19th May. I got my review copy yesterday. I devoured it in four hours. And then...I read the acknowledgements. And she thanked me on her acknowledgements page. Right there, underneath her agent and her editor and the people who helped her with Japanese translations is: 'And to [...] Ronni [lastname], for being generally wonderful.' :D
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby zemarl » Thu May 12, 2011 5:14 pm

that is so sweet, ronni! aw you must be over the moon :D
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby Peter » Thu May 12, 2011 6:20 pm

I made another sale! By the end of the year I'll be in double digits 8)
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby jessia » Sat May 14, 2011 7:19 am

we've been nearly three weeks in scandinavia and we keep trying to have a night out but failing miserably (usually because we are getting old and getting tired by the time the sun sets) but last night we were taken by some people in our dorm to a party at one of the swedish residences and we got to meet lots of people and there was good music and i had a good time. =)

everyone is so nice to us.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby AlexSP » Sat May 14, 2011 12:09 pm

woo scandinavia! it warms my heart that you're nearby! stop by chat sometime!
There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all
AlexSP
Invincible Starlight

AOL: ARosecatcher

Postby zemarl » Thu May 19, 2011 4:45 pm

il pleut et l'autre sourit.
the week looks better already.
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby Anoria » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Well, I'm happy for a lot of reasons - had a really good day today - but mostly I'm here because I just found out that my dear friend and her partner (both of whom you will meet if you attend my wedding, hint) have finally scheduled their commitment ceremony! Nobody plan any srafcons for June 16, because I will be busy.

(Though this does mostly dampen my hopes that they'll come to Massachusetts to get married anytime soon. I'll have to convince them to visit for some other reason.)

Other stuff:
- Went in to work early -> no traffic
- Had an easy day of helping other people with their projects instead of being in charge of my own
- Lunch was outdoors and free because my place of work won an award from their parent company for working really hard after the BP oil spill (before they hired me). I discovered that brownies with chocolate chips in them are greatly improved by sitting in the sun.
- Cape traffic wasn't as bad as I dreaded, and my car only showed a few signs of distress and didn't almost die like it did two weeks ago.
- Listened to my favorite symphony in the car on the way home - loudly, with the windows down
- Am going to Maine shortly, to spend the weekend celebrating my impending grandfather-in-law's 90th birthday.

Good things all around :)

Edit: Oh, and I read this fandom!secret this morning. It was the perfect way to start everything off: http://i55.tinypic.com/jhy9sk.gif
Hey baby, what's your callsign?

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Anoria
Solver

AOL: telcontara177

Postby Secret Someone » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Ronni! I think I would have become a puddle if one of my favourite authors did that. Are you still solid? :P

Happiness... I have home-made blackberry buttermilk muffins. *drools*
"There will always be women in rubber flirting with me!"

Secret Someone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:57 pm

I am ecstatic because, after two months of waiting, we have internet in our apartment.

*dances with joy*
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Return to “%s” Anything Goes Forum - General