The Republic of Heaven

The (nearly) all purpose (mostly footy) sports thread

Discuss (almost) absolutely anything here

The (nearly) all purpose (mostly footy) sports thread

Postby Qu Klaani » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:53 pm

Well we have threads for everything else, and I just wanted to complain about this

I can't fecking believe we're going to lose after their poor innings... :?
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Will » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:58 pm

It's not as bad as when you posted that. They need 50 runs off 8 overs though still.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Qu Klaani » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:16 pm

...you were saying?
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Qu Klaani » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:46 pm

Well, I was glad to see us pull it back at the last, but we really really really should have won that match. It is nice to be actually disapointed we didnt beat Australia though.

In other news, Venus Williams defied her many critics and won wimbledon, causing one of the largest outpourings of happiness Ive ever seen from one.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Darragh » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:32 pm

Am I allowed discuss football here without being castrated? Not that I want to now.

When does the ashes start? It should be a contest this year(If it is this year), I may even tune in, if only I knew all the rules of Cricket. Also, how come if Austrailia win they can't take the ashes home? I heard that somewhere so I could be wrong. It seems a bit silly to me but then again I'm no cricket expert.

I watched the Wimbledon final on and off, I was glad she won but I don't like her style of play. I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow, Federer really is a pleasure to watch. The best player I've ever seen play at Wimbledon. He hasn't lost on grass since 2002.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Tomsy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:43 pm

Darragh wrote:

When does the ashes start?

21st of July.

It should be a contest this year

*Doubts it*

Also, how come if Austrailia win they can't take the ashes home? I heard that somewhere so I could be wrong. It seems a bit silly to me but then again I'm no cricket expert.

Because they belong to the MCC, and are probably too fragile to travel that far.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Qu Klaani » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:47 pm

abc wrote:
Darragh wrote:

*Doubts it*.

Why the hell not, England have proven themselves Australia's equal, its deffinitley going to be close this year.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Tomsy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:58 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:
abc wrote:
Darragh wrote:

*Doubts it*.

Why the hell not, England have proven themselves Australia's equal, its deffinitley going to be close this year.

They tied with Australia in a one-day match. Anything can happen on one day. A series of 5 test matches is quite a different affair. This series may be a bit closer than some of the ones in recent years, but that really ain't saying much.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Qu Klaani » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:07 pm

They tied with Australia in a one-day match. Anything can happen on one day.

They also hammered them in one a couple of weeks back. Stop being so damned pessimistic, we finally have a great cricket team, we can win the ashes, we probably wont but for once its not a foregone conclusion.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Will » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:33 pm

abc wrote:
Also, how come if Austrailia win they can't take the ashes home? I heard that somewhere so I could be wrong. It seems a bit silly to me but then again I'm no cricket expert.

Because they belong to the MCC, and are probably too fragile to travel that far.

That's what we keep telling them to stop them taking them, yep..
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Ian » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:21 am

I watched the Roddick - Johansson match, and I was impressed by both players. I'd forgotten the quality of Johansson's backhand. Roddick was amazing though. Also watched the women's final while channel hopping from live8. Thought it was a good final, though I wish that people would stop screaming when hitting the ball. It doesn't help!

Where can I watch tennis on tv the rest of the year? Is it only on sky?

Any rugby fans around? I think the lions tour has gone wrong somewhere, probably through picking too many england world cup winners, who didn't deserve the red jersey. But personally, I don't think we can just blame the Lions. I saw today's match, and New Zealand are playing like world champions on fire. Daniel Carter - genius. They were all very impressive.

As for cricket...well. I don't really understand it all fully, but my general armchair spectatorial view, isthat while Australia will still walk the ashes, England have made massive gains in quality of play. They have shown that the aussies are aging, and they've shown that with work, england can get better.

Oh, and while we're on cricket, do you all think that Zimbabwe should get punished by the ICC for having a scumbag regime? I'm split on the issue personally. Perhaps you could tell me which way to think?

I'll discuss football with you Darragh. What do you want to discuss about it. What does everybody think of Stockport Countys chances this season? (we got relelgated last season again :cry: )
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Darragh » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:45 am

Football - I've been depressed lately because the Irish team I support, Shamrock Rovers(The most successful Irish club ever), have put all their players on the transfer list to avoid becoming, well, nothing. Bottom of the league after getting docked 9 points. Fairly annoyed, my dad was a supporter all his life, he's gutted. He gave about €400 to them this year. The Irish league starts as the British leagues finish. Oh well, 'tis only football.

The problem I see with the Lions is the fact that they are all great players that can't play together. New Zealand on the other hand play together all the time and their players are just as great.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Will » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:54 pm

Roddick was utterly annihilated today.. Oh well, onto mixed and senior doubles now, much more entertaining.
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby voodoo_doll » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:38 am

The lions did have a disadvantage since they haven't played as a team before, it was a pretty good game though. I was getting stressed at the start after what's his name scored a try in the first 10 minutes. Dan Carter is our new national hero for the moment, he deserves to be to - what a game.
voodoo_doll
Gyptian

Postby Qu Klaani » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:01 pm

Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Blackdragon » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:26 am

I have never been explained what that game is all about. Would anybody care to explain it?
Blackdragon
Witch

Postby Tomsy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:54 pm

Blackdragon wrote:I have never been explained what that game is all about. Would anybody care to explain it?

Very well. The aim of the game is.. oh bloody hell, read this.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Blackdragon » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:17 pm

I get the idea of it from that but I would like to see a game played to fully undersatnd it. Unfortunatly, I don't think they have any games on tv in the states.
Blackdragon
Witch

Postby Will » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:53 am

66-4! :shock:

:mrgreen:
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Tomsy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:47 pm

.. oh dear.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Return to “%s” Anything Goes Forum - General