The Republic of Heaven

NaNoWriMo

Discuss (almost) absolutely anything here

Postby barnabat » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:05 pm

I'm taking part this year... got some ideas and a notebook going!

But it's my first year.. So I'm not sure how strenuous it can get, or whether I'll make it.
A seabird calls. The unknowing one stands at the rail. Peace. The circle closed. The last word written.
barnabat
Grazer

Postby AlaskaStreet » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:29 am

I actually participated in it last year (it was my first year) and won (at 50,381 words.) It's about 180 pages with a bunch of different fonts (I got bored of writing with the same font day after day.)

No clear up some misconceptions (I only read the page, by the way.) No one has to read your novel. You can scramble the letters (a>u or something) and then you submit it. They send it through their spellchecker and if it's over 50,000 then you're declared a winner. You can print out a certificate saying you win but there's no 'real' pize. Just the pride that you've just written a novel.

And your novels can be complete pieces of crap. Mine ended up being full of gay men, vampires, and college parties. The plot just sped right out the window. I can't even bear to look at the darn thing.

You have to write about 1667 words each day to stay on track and it got a bit difficult for me to plow through. But it really opened up my doors of creativity and kept me busy all through November. All my friends were doing it, too, so we'd have NaNo parties where we all hooked up our laptops and typed away. When we reached our goals, we'd play DDR and eat ice cream.

If anyone wants to buddy me, I'm Alaska.Street. I'm so predictable.
Avatar from remynisce over at LiveJournal.
Hailey, the female human. Made the 666th newbie thread. Lokial, the male daemon. Settled as a cross-colored red fox.
AlaskaStreet
Zalif

Location: Texas; home of hare-souled balloon-driving cowboys.

Re: NaNoWriMo

Postby brieana90 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Wow, it's been quite a while since anyone's posted here.
I've done Nano twice and I don't think the last one had anything going for it.
I haven't really decided yet if it's good for me. Normally when I try to write, I don't move far into the story because I keep wanting to edit everything away and I end up with very little. Because of that I have little experience with writing a plot and a fully realized story. I figured nano would help because I'd make myself finish something, but I think my last story was 50,000 words of filler crap.
Maybe I should use my efforts towards writing short stories instead. That'd probably help me with the plot problem and it wouldn't be as exhausting.
I'm not dissing nanowrimo though. I have seen it work for other people, but for me, I was winging it and word padding to get to the daily 1,667 words. I'm not sure if that's all that productive.
brieana90
Grazer

Return to “%s” Anything Goes Forum - General