The Republic of Heaven

Little Gold Men

Discuss (almost) absolutely anything here

Re: Little Gold Men

Postby Qu Klaani » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter.

The snub for the Boss I find particularly annoying, but the lack of recognition for either (or both) of last summer's smash hits which also happened to be two of the best films of the year in favour of such bland Oscar-bait as The Reader is just ridiculous.

Stuff like this demolishes whatever little credibility the Academy had left, and last year was so impressive as well.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Mockingbird » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:39 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:...but the lack of recognition for either (or both) of last summer's smash hits which also happened to be two of the best films of the year in favour of such bland Oscar-bait as The Reader is just ridiculous.

Isn't it strange though? I thought the Academy liked to recognize critically acclaimed Blockbuster-types when they come around, i.e. Titanic (blergh) and The Lord of the Rings (woot)...and rightly so as they don't come around so often.

I think I will see The Reader, Doubt, and The Class at some point. I can barely get through the trailers of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Revolutionary Road without wanting to take naps so I'll pass on those.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Blossom » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:46 am

Would have liked to have actually watched the show, it's not the same reading through a list of the winners. Anywho, yay for Slumdog. I haven't seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button but from what I know of it I expected it to win. Would have liked ot have seen Brad Pitt win best actor though, just because it's him.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby jessia » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:51 pm

yay slumdog, o man those kids are cute.

yay hugh jackman, who performed very well despite the massive production changes to the ceremony - not all of which i thought were particularly effective.

otherwise... i thought the production format/ceremony script made the oscars kind of hard to watch this year. the musical sequences were a bit of a let down - though i understand that they needed to spend less money this year - it would've been super cool to see m.i.a. (but i supposed it'd be a little superhuman to carry stage performances on both the night you gave birth and the weeks immediately following). my friend found that the set-up for the acting awards was a bit self-congratulatory... i might agree. i think my main problem with it was the extra time it took and the fact that the same opportunity wasn't lent to some of the less public awards (it isn't as if those actors and actresses don't have enough time in non-movie media). there were some incredibly gorgeous dresses, though i wasn't sure what jessical biel was thinking...
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Soapy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:08 pm

jessia wrote:yay slumdog, o man those kids are cute.

That is so weird seeing them all together like that.. it's like seeing ghosts, man. And also - they're so cute, especially Little Jamal.
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Darragh » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 am

That was so dull and predictable. I'm beginning to really hate the Oscars. The speeches make my stomach turn.

Also, bring back Billy Crystal.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby bee » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:13 pm

It's time again...

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawa ... inees.html

I haven't seen a good deal of the movies included in nominations (for example, NONE of the movies from which best actor/actress and supporting are nominated), but I have seen Avatar twice, and I'm sure that will be the Oscar baby this year, so I think I'm set.

Also, while Sherlock Holmes did not top my list for acting, or plot sorts of things, I did hope to see it on one of the sound lists, since it's very rare that the sound editing/mixing (not entirely sure the difference, and apparently the Academy doesn't know either, as there is only one nominee difference between the two) jumps out at me and I really notice how the sound has its own role in a movie. I figured if it could manage to reach my notice, surely it was something out of the ordinary, but apparently not.

Edit: It also just occurred to me that (500) Days of Summer is nowhere on that list and I madly loved that movie and think surely there was SOMETHING good enough about it!
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Blossom » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:13 pm

The Bingo! guy is totally going to bag the best supporting actor.

Could be a tough year for the best animated feature. It's usually a good pixar movie vs some ~*pineapples*~ dreamworks stuff.

I have only seen Avatar, District 9, Inglourious Basterds and Up out fo the best picture list, and out of those the only one I think that should have a shot at the best picture award is Inglourious Basterds. Arrivederci!
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Darragh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:09 am

Of the best I've seen I'd like to see Up win it but District 9 and Inglorious Basterds would make me happy too. Avatar will win it though. You don't make the most successful film ever and not have it recognised. I'd really like to see Tarantino win Director. Shame Star Trek came out this year, it deserves something but will leave with nothing (maybe make up). I'm disspointed Zoe Saldana didn't get a best supporting actress nomination. I can't believe Avatar got nominated for best music. Terrible. Finally I hope Hurt Locker picks up an award or two.

Blossom wrote:Could be a tough year for the best animated feature. It's usually a good pixar movie vs some ~*pineapples*~ dreamworks stuff.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is underrated. :P
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Qu Klaani » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:48 pm

Cloudy was better than Up.

Avatar will win everything, in a repeat of the tedious titanic love-in.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:42 am

Qu Klaani wrote:Avatar will win everything, in a repeat of the tedious titanic love-in.

I know, isn't it depressing?

I would prefer it if District Nine won over Inglorious Basterds, mainly because I can't stand Tarantino. I can't say anything about The Hurt Locker as I haven't seen it yet.

That is all.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Bump. I'm nailing my flag to the mast and saying that I agree with Scalzi (as I do in most things).
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Alexandra » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:47 am

I don't particularly care about the big awards anymore, since I barely ever agree with the Academy. They always choose 5 or 6 Oscar-bait films and throw all the awards at them. I'm focusing more on the technical awards this year, though I do feel like Nolan was snubbed pretty badly.
Alexandra
6 x 9 = 42

Return to “%s” Anything Goes Forum - General