The Republic of Heaven

Little Gold Men

Discuss (almost) absolutely anything here

Little Gold Men

Postby Mockingbird » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Academy Awards 2008 nominees

Me thoughts!

Satisfied and somewhat surprised that the Academy isn't being as typical as they usually are.

So glad Viggo is up for a best actor nod. He is an understated actor and gives exactly the kind of performances that the Academy loves to ignore so I'm glad they haven't this time. The only other person I would want here (which is probably asking too much from this glitz and glamor popularity contest) is Ryan Gosling. I think he is one of the best actors of his generation, and I want him to be recognized for it while he is still young. He really did give the best performance I've seen since Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote.

I think it's cool that Casey Affleck got a nomination for supporting. I love it when young actors are recognized.

SO thrilled that Ellen Page got a best actress nod, it's so truly deserved. Ditto for Laura Linney because she's so good and such a wallflower, ECSTATIC that Kiera Knightley DIDN'T get one because she didn't deserve it AT ALL, no more than she did for Pride and Prejudice but the Academy gave her one anyway.

Very glad that Knightley's young co-star got a nod for best supporting because she outshone everybody else in that movie by miles.

THRILLED that Persepolis got a nod for best animated, I'm sure the Rat movie was good but I'm also sure it can't match the significance of Persepolis.

WOOT WOOT The Golden Compass for effects and art direction, it deserves both, though I don't expect it will win the art, it will be a crying shame if it doesn't win effects.

As for best directing and best picture, what up with Clooney? I haven't seen Michael Clayton but it's as if he could draw a stick doodle and the Academy would fall to their knees. Glad about Juno, it's deserved.

SO HAPPY for original screenplays for both Juno and Lars and the Real Girl, more so for Lars because I didn't expect it. I'd love to see it win because Juno was a little full of it's own clever cleverness while Lars must have been so difficult to pull off at the right emotional level and it succeeded beautifully.

Atonement certainly does deserve a nom for best adapted screenplay, it captured the spirit of the book amazingly well, both the merits and the flaws.

Also very happy NOT to see Enchanted, HP 5, and Shrek and and other silly hyped-up movies cluttering this list.

I wish I had seen any of the foreign films and documentaries nominated this year. Has anyone?
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Re: Little Gold Men

Postby Soapy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:16 pm

First reaction:

VIGGO MORTENSEN HAS A NEW FILM OUT AND I HAD NO IDEA!? WHY IS THAT?!!!! <333 Viggo.

Second reaction:

*grumble*
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Bellerophon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:43 pm

I'd like to see Viggo win Best Actor for Eastern Promises. His performance was sublime, but it's a hard race for me to call because I haven't seen the other nominated performances.

I'm definitely calling Best Supporting Actress for Saoirse Ronan. Without her performance Atonement would have been unwatchable, in my opinion, and I think its Best Picture nomination is entirely to her credit.

As much as I'd love to see Ellen Page win Best Actress, the competition is as stiff as Bleaker's bony bod. Toss up.

I think Juno will win either Best Original Screenplay or Best Director, but not both.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Bellerophon
Witch

Postby Blossom » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Meh, as usual I've seen very few of the films up for the big awards. The oscars always go for the tedious stuff with no rewatchability...but great films tend to be that way.

The girl in atonement was really good, hope she gets that award.

Three song nominations for Enchanted? :shock: I want to see this movie more now.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby AlexSP » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:14 am

they need a category for best human ever. and amy adams would win!
There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all
AlexSP
Invincible Starlight

AOL: ARosecatcher

Postby jessia » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:15 am

Blossom wrote:Three song nominations for Enchanted? :shock: I want to see this movie more now.

i must say it was pretty cute.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Qu Klaani » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:50 am

I wasn't really aware of Juno, but it's got the funniest young actor on the planet and Kitty Pryde in it so Ill keep an eye out for the dvd.

These oscars really confirm to me that compared to the last few years, last year was a bit crap for movies. Admittedly I havent seen most of the big uns yet (and wont for awhile), but none of them have really grabbed me from what Ive seen/read, other than Charlie Wilson's war. It'd be cool for the Coens to win a best Director gong (or gongs...I guess.)

What else, well TGC might win the Visual effects one, because the academy has a long tradition of usually giving it to the wrong film. Transformers shat all over TGC in that department, but they like not giving to ILM when at all possible.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Darragh » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:04 am

Bloody knew any post regarding the Oscars from Qu Klaani would involve bitching about ILM. TLOTR's deserved them, dammit! :wink:
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby jessia » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:57 am

canadian public broadcasters (or the ones i listen to anyways) have been going nuts on the radio for ellen page and sarah polley, and i would just like to add: represent!

(that said, i'm rooting for marion collitard over page for best actress. la mome/la vie en rose was beautiful. but definitely juno for an award like writing.)

it's nice to see that we're (canada) still doing well for animated shorts. nfb ftw.

and now, a list of films i still need to see:
*eastern promises
*elizabeth: the golden age
*atonement
*the diving bell and the butterfly
*across the universe
*the bourne ultimatum
*the kite runner.

i haven't seen many films this year... i'm just not amazingly excited or dying to spend 12.00$ on teh pictures.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby tyche » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:22 am

I have no idea what i've been doing for the past year because i haven't even heard of most of those films. But woohoo Golden Compass!
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Qu Klaani » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 pm

Darragh wrote:Bloody knew any post regarding the Oscars from Qu Klaani would involve bitching about ILM. TLOTR's deserved them, dammit! :wink:

They deserved the first one, but the second and third were lazily handed out. To be fair Return of the King just sort of won everything by default, was a bit mad that year.

Tbh I don't really get the point of the technical oscars, it just dims the prestige of the ones handed out by the actual experts.

As I said in the Heather Ledger thread, if the Oscars happen, they're gonna be utterly ~*iguana*~ miserable.

Anywho, in light of Jess' list, here is my own:

eastern promises
atonement
the diving bell and the butterfly
The bourne ultimatum
the kite runner.
Michael Clayton
There Will Be Blood
The Assassination of Jesse James etc
Sweeney Todd
In the Valley of Elah
American Gangster
Lars and the Real Girl
Sicko
3:10 to Yuma
No End in Sight

I only really go to the Cinema for "event movies" (ie geek films), Cloverfield will be next.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Mockingbird » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:18 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:These oscars really confirm to me that compared to the last few years, last year was a bit crap for movies.

Hmm, my film-school-geek boyfriend says that 2007 is supposed to have been a great year for movies that 'matter,' and for arthouse/indies, maybe not so much for big blowout fare. It's been true for me, the independents that I've seen this year have been wonderful. I think this year's Oscars definitely confirm that.

And yeah, Enchanted was cute, but really, if by 'cute,' you mean 'moving' and 'sweet,' then there were definitely much better movies out in 2007 that you could see instead.

I've seen most of the movies I've wanted to, which is pretty unusual. I've heard The Kite Runner was bad, it got pretty bad reviews too. Strangely, people whose opinions I respect have said that they are surprised at how much hype No Country For Old Men is getting and they think it's undeserved, so the only movie that I'm still interested in seeing is The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

Any others that I definitely should see?

My top recommendation for 2007 is Lars and the Real Girl.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

Postby Qu Klaani » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:24 pm

Hmm, my film-school-geek boyfriend says that 2007 is supposed to have been a great year for movies that 'matter,' and for arthouse/indies, maybe not so much for big blowout fare.

Well, it was undeniably rather blah for geek movies (sequelitis!) but even with regards to movies that "matter," I just haven't heard about that many really great movies (obviously I havent seen any of them, but usually I get the hype from people I know.) 2005 for example, was a ~*iguana*~ great year.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Mockingbird » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:39 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:
Hmm, my film-school-geek boyfriend says that 2007 is supposed to have been a great year for movies that 'matter,' and for arthouse/indies, maybe not so much for big blowout fare.

Well, it was undeniably rather blah for geek movies (sequelitis!) but even with regards to movies that "matter," I just haven't heard about that many really great movies (obviously I havent seen any of them, but usually I get the hype from people I know.) 2005 for example, was a ~*iguana*~ great year.

Well, I've probably been taking more of an interest in movies lately because of said film-geek boyfriend. I don't usually see many movies in theaters, and then I just forget to rent them. I don't recall the fabulousness of 2005. What were the highlights? and what qualifies as a geek movie, by the way? 300-type?
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

Postby furbaby » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:10 pm

A pity so few people had the opportunity to see Control, Anton Corbijn's Ian Curtis biopic. It had a very limited release even here in the UK. Wonderful photography and performances.

At least it has a BAFTA nom for Best British Film, and it has picked up a lot of other awards.
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby Qu Klaani » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:18 pm

I don't recall the fabulousness of 2005.

Crash, Wallace & Gromit, Hustle & Flow, A History of Violence, War of the Worlds, Revenge of the Sith, Syriana, King Kong, The Constant Gardener, Munich, Cheaper by the Dozen 2, Capote, Walk the Line, Brokeback Mountain, Good Night and Good Luck, 40 Year-Old Virgin, Serenity, Batman Begins.

Those are just off the top of my head.

what qualifies as a geek movie, by the way? 300-type?

These days, basically every single blockbuster is geek orientated, Potter, LOTR, the comic books movies etc etc. Tis great because they tend to be more enjoyable than the blockbusters of the 90s (Im looking at you Speed and Armageddon.)
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Diolmhain » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:37 pm

Glen Hansart is up for an oscar, Woot!

He's irish and i know him.... not really that farmiliar with any of the other nominees i've heard..
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby Blossom » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:11 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:
These days, basically every single blockbuster is geek orientated, Potter, LOTR, the comic books movies etc etc. Tis great because they tend to be more enjoyable than the blockbusters of the 90s (Im looking at you Speed and Armageddon.)

You think Potter is more enjoyable than Speed? :shock:

I agree it's been a bit of a crap year for movies, i generally dispise the sorts of films that are in this years' best film list. But really, do the oscars matter? surely the ~*pineapples*~ they hand out awards to proves they don't. *glares at chicago and the departed*
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Vicinity of Obscenity » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:18 am

The only film I've even really seen on this list is Eastern Promises but it was brilliant. Viggo's performance was spot-on!
I feel refreshed now that my eyes aren't exploding out of their sockets!
HORRAY Beer!
Vicinity of Obscenity
Angel

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:43 am

According to stuff I've read, the problems with The Kite Runner is not so much that it is bad but rather that its makers were culturally insensitive (or deliberately stupid) when making it. Some of the actors have had to leave Afghanistan after the details of the film were revealed. Apparently they were the subject of death threats.

Mockingbird wrote:my film-school-geek boyfriend

When did this happen? *looks confused*
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Return to “%s” Anything Goes Forum - General