The Republic of Heaven

The Career Thread

Discuss (almost) absolutely anything here

Re: The Career Thread

Postby sxygreenshoelace » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:09 am

I am currently working for a flooring store, we install and do some distribution for larger companies. I love my job, the actual work and JOB. Boss lady is a different story. Things started out so great, and slowly slipped into a terrible nightmare! The store is small, there are literally 5 people that work here. Myself, the other office girl Chelsea, the husband and wife team that own the store, and John the installation helper.

The wife has become somewhat of a tyrant and a ghost at the same time. She is hardly ever in the store which creates problems because she does all of our estimates which hardly go out anymore and when she is there she constantly has derogatory comments and negative things to say. The husband is great, he is our installer and works with John out of the office a lot, but even when those two are there it's pleasant. It's hard to work with the wife there because once I start doing something she wants to stop me and have me do something she usually does. So it takes me forever to get my own stuff done and then she complains that I never finish projects! I stood up to her though and asked what was more of a priority, getting the stuff she piles on done or my own work first and she backed way off for a few days. But now it's back to me doing most all her work again. BAH. :roll:
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car...

Everyone has photographic memory; some just don't have the film...
sxygreenshoelace
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: geonhope
AOL: sxygreenshoelace

Postby nanaki » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:29 pm

It took 3 months and 5 or 6 interviews, but I've finallly gotten work placement for 6 months.

I only had the interview 7 hours ago :D
(∀x) (∃y) ( loves(y, x) )
nanaki
ナナキ

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:38 pm

nanaki wrote:It took 3 months and 5 or 6 interviews, but I've finallly gotten work placement for 6 months.

Fantastic! Good news generally comes more quickly than bad :)
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:06 pm

nanaki wrote:It took 3 months and 5 or 6 interviews, but I've finallly gotten work placement for 6 months.

Congratulations, Michael! I'm so happy for you! Well done! Where is the job?
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby nanaki » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:53 am

It's with a company called Irish Life. They do insurance and pensions and investments and other stuff
nanaki
ナナキ

Postby Biliskner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:59 am

School...
3 exams cause the teachers need to get report cards out in 2 weeks
and just sent a application for IB god I hope i get in.
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still
listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

"Rodney, you have an arrow in your gluteus maximus."
"gluteus maximus...gluteus maximus... my god thats my ass isn't it?"
Biliskner
Grazer

Yahoo Messenger: qingdazou@yahoo.ca

Postby Blossom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 am

Just had the interview from hell. Basically thought I was applying for something completely different to what they thought they were interviewing me for, and we discovered this halfway through the interview...*awkward silence*...totally mortified. They said they'll consider me for the thing I thought I was applying for...yeah right, I know I wouldn't. Every single interview I've had I've buggered up by saying something completely stupid, but this takes the biscuit. I'm just doomed.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby bee » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm finally starting to get my own project in the lab I'm in right now. There's actually two things I'm going to be working on.

First, one of the people in the lab has developed a new technique for differentiating stem cells into neuronal cells. The current process is rather expensive and takes somewhere around 6+ weeks. This new process he's designed is much cheaper, simpler, and takes something like 11 days. Probably. The new procedure needs to be replicated to ensure it wasn't a fluke, so I'm getting my own set of cells to test the entire process.

Second, we want to look at how cells develop circadian rhythms. The idea is to look at whether stem cells have these rhythms, or at what stage of their development the rhythms start to arise. First though, I get to test out whether or not the methods of measuring particular circadian rhythm genes work with stem cells.

I am absurdly excited. The one thing that worries me is that the PI won't tell me whether or not he can/will pay for me after my departmental support runs out. (This being a really important one thing, as this is how my tuition is paid, and how I get my stipend which is how I pay my rent and all my bills.) I THINK (hope) that he just doesn't want to commit to something before he sees me do something productive in the lab (so far I've just been doing training and helping other people with their work). Fingers crosses he'll get money for me, because I would love to keep doing this work!
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby bee » Wed May 11, 2011 7:40 pm

Double posting...

So if anyone has about $32,706 to spare for me, that would be totally totally grand. Nobody has any funding for me. I can't find a job in a lab who could actually pay for me.

I love the lab I'm in right now, but he has no money for me. So I'm looking at other labs, and nobody else has money either.

I'm relatively flexible in what I do, what the research is, etc but I have to find someone who has the money to support me. :cry:
ImageImageImage

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Postby heatheradair » Sun May 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Sraffies, I haven't posted in ages.

But it's time to celebrate! In two weeks I will no longer be a math teacher. Scary, but a welcome change.
lexically.etsy.com

"Here's a golden Rule to begin with. Write legibly. The average temper of the human race would be perceptibly sweetened, if everybody obeyed this rule! A great deal of the bad writing in the world comes simply from writing too quickly. Of course you reply, 'I do it to save time.' A very good object, no doubt: but what right have you to do it at your friend's expense? Isn't his time as valuable as yours?" -Lewis Carroll
heatheradair
Text Twist Ninja

Postby nanaki » Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 am

heatheradair wrote:But it's time to celebrate! In two weeks I will no longer be a math teacher. Scary, but a welcome change.

What would you like to teach?

Yes, I'm at work. So very slow. Nothing to do, nothing works, nobody's gotten back to us. Yay
nanaki
ナナキ

Postby jessia » Thu May 26, 2011 1:08 pm

it cuts short my travels as well as my hopes to see UK sraffies but this summer i'll start a six month contract as a policy analyst in my provincial government. :D
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Steffimonster » Sun May 29, 2011 11:48 pm

So i now enter the waiting game...

i handed out 10 CV's about a month and a half ago, only got 2 replies (1 interview, 1 no vacancy we's gonna keep you on file)

another i'm convinced actually lost my CV seen as they've hired two people since

the interview was for a montessori through Irish which i'd really love to get, i'd also be working with a girl i get on with from college which is a plus.

so yeah, i was told to expect a reply by the end of the month/1st week in June, we've now reached that point so i gets to wait =(

luckily she said she'd contact me either way which is a nice thing if you ask me

*fingers crossed*
Maow
Steffimonster
Grazer

Postby bee » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Can I just set up a fund for everyone to donate to and live off that?

I feel like this is a totally valid way to make money...
ImageImageImage

bee
HoneyPie

Postby Steffimonster » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:40 pm

being asking me what i'm doing in relation to this subject currently is really confusing.

i'm technically a teacher and hired..........but then again not really :(
but i'm also technically still a student......but not really :(

i dont know what i am right now

i dont like not knowing whats going on in my life...but its all because of my stupid disorganised college..

and to add to it all i have a meeting with the parents of the children i may or may not be teaching in my not quite sure/official teaching job tomorrow...help
Maow
Steffimonster
Grazer

Postby darkchylde » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Well, I still train horses for myself, but since I am not paid (my own horses, usually, some horses I sell but that dont make me a pro horse trainer but rather just a horse trader, hee hee) I AM working on a story, so perhaps I can add 'author' to my resume.... I guess if I get it published, eh?
Things are never as they seem, nor are they otherwise.
darkchylde
Grazer

Postby bee » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:00 pm

Starting yet another new lab this afternoon... They've agreed to pay for me for this semester (since my time for finding a lab ran out) so I don't have to drop out of school. And then hopefully they'll keep me on permanently after that!

The lack of funding for research is ridiculous.
ImageImageImage

bee
HoneyPie

Postby Ian » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:40 pm

bee wrote:The lack of funding for research is ridiculous.

If you think it's bad for you, you should see what it's like in the arts and humanities :(

I'm certainly never again paying for postgraduate study. If I do another degree it has to be a funded one.

Careerwise, I don't like being a resident assistant, but it gives me 75% off my rent. More excitingly, my department has secured 4 hours of paid teaching time for me this academic year - so I get to teach actual university students for a fraction of their year :)
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Return to “%s” Anything Goes Forum - General