The Republic of Heaven

Leash Children

Discuss (almost) absolutely anything here

Re: Leash Children

Postby bethanwy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:00 am

Sibylle wrote:I have never in my life heard of "leashes" for children. Do you mean the ones for pets used on children? I don't understand - in fact, I'm not even sure I understood correctly, sounds so shocking.

They're called 'reins' around here.
Example.

I had this discussion with my parents and then my dad told me about one holiday when they forgot my reins and I ended up going missing on the beach. My dad ended up running around looking for me for about half an hour. Turns out some kind stranger had found me and was about to take me to the tourist information place because she couldn't think of where else to take me. If my dad and I hadn't spotted each other as the woman and I were leaving the beach.... well, I'd rather not think about it.
bethanwy
COVERED IN BEES

Postby kaoshoneybun » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:02 am

I was about to post a picture too! I think Thelxiepia's photo shows a girl who is too old for reins in my opinion.
For Sibylle's benefit, 'leashes' in the initial post sounded abusive and not at all like the safety harnesses Thelxiepia, I and others see as potentially useful but these too have come under attack.

I see you didn't actually answer my question Stelmaria :S
Attachments
reins.jpg
(14.23 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Children of the future age,
Reading this indignant page,
Know that in a former time
Love, sweet love, was thought a crime.

William Blake, A Little Girl Lost
kaoshoneybun
Gyptian

Postby Sibylle » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:57 am

Here's my reaction to the pictures: :shock:
I had never heard about it let alone seen any of those so I assume they're not sold here.
There's just one thing that's getting in the way,
When we go up to bed you're just no good it's such a shame.
I look into your eyes, I want to get to know you,
And then you make this noise, and it's apparent it's all over.
It's not fair and I think you're really mean,
I think you're really mean, I think you're really mean.
Oh you're supposed to care, but you never make me scream,
You never make me scream.
Sibylle
Gyptian

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:46 am

Sibylle wrote:I have never in my life heard of "leashes" for children. Do you mean the ones for pets used on children? I don't understand - in fact, I'm not even sure I understood correctly, sounds so shocking.

The problem lies in the emotive word "leash", suggesting as it does something like a dog lead, fastened around the neck.

The correct expression is "wrist strap".

- What is it? It's a strap made of e.g. braided nylon, around a metre long with a loop at each end and sometimes an elastic section in the middle.

- How is it used? One end of the strap is looped around the adult's wrist, the other around the child's wrist. The adult holds the child's hand as normal.

- When is its use appropriate? Children like to test limits. It's part of growing up. Especially, around the ages of approx 2-4 yrs children are very impulsive. At the same time they are growing in strength. It's this mismatch between strength and impulsiveness that may make the use of a wrist strap a useful part of a child's upbringing. ("If you promise to hold tightly onto Mummy's hand today, we needn't use the wrist strap today." "Good girl! You've stayed close by me all week. Let's put the wrist strap away.") It can also save a life. Generally it's only needed for a few weeks.

- When is its use inappropriate? When it is used lazily, as a substitute for proper care and attention. When it is used long-term, rather than as a help in difficult circumstances. When it is used cruelly, as a crude means of control, or as a punishment. When it is used for an older child. Note, however, that a special needs child may need some kind of restraint at a greater age, as Heather has pointed out.

I hope everything is clearer now.

EDIT. I'm tempted to lock this thread, and I will do so if the discussion starts to generate even more heat than light. Let's keep it rational, eh? Less of this :lol:

Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Sibylle » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:25 pm

I still find it shocking but it is clearer, thank you for taking the time to explain it all to me.
There's just one thing that's getting in the way,
When we go up to bed you're just no good it's such a shame.
I look into your eyes, I want to get to know you,
And then you make this noise, and it's apparent it's all over.
It's not fair and I think you're really mean,
I think you're really mean, I think you're really mean.
Oh you're supposed to care, but you never make me scream,
You never make me scream.
Sibylle
Gyptian

Postby Philharmonic » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:29 pm

i reckon thats child cruelty!

no child should be leashed up like a dog. come to that, dogs shouldnt be either. but it makes me feel somewhat more comfortable around them.

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby Alexandra » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:45 pm

I still find it sort of strange. There's something about it that rubs me the wrong way, no matter what name it's given. (About the names: I think it's obvious why "leash" sounds awful, but I also don't like calling them "reins", because then I just think of horses rather than dogs.) I can completely understand certain situations where it would be necessary or practical, but I can't see the majority of children needing these. I'd never even heard of them until a couple of months ago.

However, I do like the way Peter put it. If it's only used for a few weeks in early childhood then I can't see anything wrong with it at all. I don't quite like the ones depicted in the pictures, but the wrist-strap idea isn't so bad. As it is, though, I think I'd rather just stick close to the child and hold their hand as much as possible.
Alexandra
6 x 9 = 42

Postby bee » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:59 pm

Philharmonic wrote:i reckon thats child cruelty!

no child should be leashed up like a dog. come to that, dogs shouldnt be either. but it makes me feel somewhat more comfortable around them.

My cousin aggressively would try to bite people when she was younger. Feel any safer?

And I agree, Peter puts things very well. :) Thank you for laying that out!
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Blinkus » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:44 pm

bee wrote:
Philharmonic wrote:i reckon thats child cruelty!

My cousin aggressively would try to bite people when she was younger. Feel any safer?

And I was just going to suggest that children be muzzled as well!

Brats.
Blinkus
Witch

Return to “%s” Anything Goes Forum - General