The Republic of Heaven

Seen Any Films Lately?

Discuss (almost) absolutely anything here

Re: Seen Any Films Lately?

Postby brieana90 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:53 pm

I saw 12th and Delaware which is a documentary by the women who gave us Jesus Camp. It made me pretty sad. Especially that bit at the end with the single parent who has six (or now maybe seven) children and when we see that fifteen year old again from the beginning of the movie.
brieana90
Grazer

Postby bee » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Blade Runner*.

I was... disappointed. It was gorgeous. It was fantastically filmed with great visuals and music. And it wasn't very interesting.

Maybe I've had this built up for too long. It's always cited as something along the lines of being one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. It just... wasn't. (For me. Obviously different people, different tastes.) It was a good MOVIE but not necessarily the best SCI-FI movie.

On the other hand, it's pretty much designed for brilliant cosplay and I want to do some of those costumes! :)

*I ended up choosing "Final Cut" from Netflix.
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby cjp » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:14 am

I kind of felt the same; I bought the 'Final Cut' on DVD a few months ago having never seen it before, and felt a bit disappointed to be honest. I mean, it was good, but I just wasn't blown away. Was it a bit unfair for me to expect this?
cjp
Grazer

Postby Peter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:25 pm

It's a question of time. Blade Runner has influenced so many subsequent films that its impact on someone seeing it for the first time nearly 30 years after its first release is bound to be reduced compared with that on someone seeing it in a cinema in 1982.
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Darragh » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:52 am

Blade Runner is by far my favourite Sci-Fi film. The script is excellent. The music is excellent. The performances are very good. The atmosphere is incredible. It's basic plot is not brilliant but the general direction is sublime. Compared to modern sci-fi it is slow paced and I can understand people being disappointed in it but watch it again, watch it a 3rd time. Study it as a piece of art in the time that it was released.

Only the book Dune compares to me as a work of sci fi.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby darren » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:51 pm

bee / cjp wrote:I was... disappointed / I kind of felt the same...

i'm not surprised that you both probably found blade runner disappointing after all the hype. it is definitely over-hyped. like, one of the most over-hyped films of all time. it appears on best-sci-fi lists everywhere.

i don't know how successful it was when it was first released (it's a year older than i am!) but i understand that it gained a cult following, and for some reason it's lurched into the limelight in the last decade or so. anyone who's anyone raves about blade runner, dontchaknow...

all the same, it's amongst my favourite movies. like darragh says, it's got everything: brilliant lines, amazing acting, awesome sets (i saw it on blu-ray recently and bloody hell, it looks delicious), oodles of atmosphere (oodles! it almost condenses on the inside of the tv screen!) bizarre characters, bizarrer costumes, flying cars, guns, and a semi-naked lady with a snake. what more could you ask for?

and i love the story.

Spoiler:
i love how we aren't sure whether harrison ford is a replicant or not. (he has human dreams of a unicorn [prompting the question of the story it was based on: do androids dream of electric sheep?] but at the end the company leaves an origami unicorn on the floor of his apartment, so was the dream planted in his robot mind?)

it's bleak and uplifting at the same time. and there's so much atmosphere! i used to have a bootleg copy of the vangelis soundtrack but i lost it when i moved out of my parents' house. the chilling sax solo is, like, wow.

okay, i've raved enough about it.

i downloaded a kindle edition of PKD's novel a little while back but i haven't read it yet. i should bump it up the list and read it soon.

-- darren

a tear, sarah jane?

but it did happen.
darren
alcoholic frog *hic*

Postby bee » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Watched Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead yesterday.

Not entirely sure I ever had any idea what was going on (but then again, neither did the characters) but young Gary Oldman and Tim Roth are just so darn adorable!
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Darragh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:39 am

tomorrow may be worse wrote:snip

It is certainly over hyped. It's a film that people love to latch on to. When the film was first released it was panned by critics but it had a cult resurgence so people like to latch on to it and hype it but as a work or fiction/art, as you say, it's brilliant.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby tellthemstories » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:39 pm

the prestige, please tell me people have watched this??
What does it take to make us real?
tellthemstories
Grazer

Postby brieana90 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:10 pm

AlexSP wrote:went to see Fück Yeah Mermaids today.

AKA Pirates OTC 4 to the rest of the world.

But seriously, I haven't teared up at pure aesthetic beauty in so long. I thought my inner deadness woulda taken care of that heartsector by now, and closed it off.

I googled ~*iguana*~ Yeah Mermaids and found a tumblr account. I was disappointed when I read the rest of your post. I have a thing for mermaids.
About a month or two ago I saw some Russian movie called Mermaid (despite the title, there were no mermaids featured in the movie. I was disappointed.) and I thought it was kind of meh.
brieana90
Grazer

Return to “%s” Anything Goes Forum - General