The Republic of Heaven

Would Jiminy Cricket be a daemon?

Discuss general topics related to the series

Re: Would Jiminy Cricket be a dæmon?

Postby Stelmaria7 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:07 am

a real life example is shamanism. they beleave in spirit animals which are the same as daemons, except you loss them when you get sick and you get a new one every so often. We had a discussion about them in pyschology and they brought up daemons and patronuses.
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Postby LadyHawke » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:47 pm

Interesting you would point that out. I was obsessed when I was younger (LOOOOONG time ago) with the idea of your totem, and when I was in my early 20s I was pretty heavy into shamanism (first Native American, as my first mentor in shamanism was Bear Woman, and then I got into the Druidic/Keltic thing later), and that was when I discovered the falcon was my totem. I remember I wasn't happy, I was horse crazy and I wanted it AT least to be a horse, or a cat (my other fave at the time) but now I am cuddn't be more content that the falcon is my totem, and most people that know me say it fits me well.
When I read Pullman's works, I knew right off that the daemon and the totem were the same thing, and I knew what mine was already.
_./'\._¸¸.•¤**¤•.¸.•¤**¤**'
*•. . •*** LadyHawke **`
/.•*•.\ ¸..•¤**¤•., .•¤**¤•*

If you're goin thru hell, the LAST thing you wanna do is stop.....

ImageMy daemon, Ayden.
LadyHawke
Armoured Bear

Postby shady » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:57 pm

Yeah?Did you actually find about something that totem thing and shamanisam?I mean is it real,not just acting and lot of weed :P
Some Will Fall but i Rise Thug Or Die
Makin Choices that Determine my Future Under the Sky
shady
Gallivespian Spy

Website: http://www.TheHateUGiveLittleInfantsFucksEveryone.com

Postby Soron » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:57 am

A better question would be, would it be appropriate for Pinocchio to even have a dæmon prior to becoming a "real boy" but after gaining consciousness?
Soron
Grazer

Postby Somewhat » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:55 pm

A better question would be, would it be appropriate for Pinocchio to even have a dæmon prior to becoming a "real boy" but after gaining consciousness?
Well, that poses the question of whether a daemon is your soul, your mind, or just a companion. Jiminy Cricket was a conscience and a helper, like Pan, but Pullman's daemons are frequently described as souls; at the same time, Deaths and daemons are completely seperate - all the concepts are really fluid and hard to pin down and divide. If you kill a daemon, the body dies, but if you sever the link, the soul dies. It's a good question and it really depends on what your definitions are.
Yeah?Did you actually find about something that totem thing and shamanisam?I mean is it real,not just acting and lot of weed :P
If you are trying to be a shaman by smoking weed, you are doin it rong. :P
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk