The Republic of Heaven

What do daemons do when people have sex?

Discuss general topics related to the series

What do daemons do when people have sex?

Postby Galtar » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:52 pm

Please do not mock my question and accept my apologies if this subject has come up before in another thread. I'm a newbie here. I am a 21 year old which is very preocupied in settling what I believe is a good question.
It is repeated in NL that people are strictly forbidden to touch other daemons than their own. As daemons are a part of everyone, what do they do when people have sexual intercourse (please don't argue that this is irrelevant. It's a valid point to a fantasy universe in order to make it totally believable).
First of all, if anyone knows anything that Mr. Pullman might have commented on the subject, please post it.
Now for my ideas... I mean there are just a few alternatives, and I want your opinions on which is the most likely to be true.

1) daemons break off their contact totally and are not present in any way or form during sex.

2) daemons keep their distance (no visual or other type of contact) but do not leave the room.

3) The two daemons have some sort of contact between themselves. And by this I mean cuddling because daemons are different and even if they were the same species, somehow the idea of people having sex and nearby two cats or dogs or whatever doing the same thing is sort of repulsive (to me.) Of course there is a posibility that two teenagers may have sex before their daemons settle and the two daemons may have some sort of sexual contact is slighlty less repulsive, even a bit poetic :) This raises another question. Is it even possible that two daemons be 'intimate'? I mean they don't reproduce. Why should they have reproductive organs? Just for the sake of aestethics?

I feel I have touched a few interesting points. Please post your ideas and beliefs on the subject and treat it like the interesting dillema that it is. Again sorry of anyone finds this offensive. I find it a valid question.

Sorry for any spelling errors. I am not a native English speaker and I never check my spelling when I finish writing something.
Tragic irony or poetic justice...
Galtar
Grazer

Yahoo Messenger: noble_samurai_jack

Postby JoefromOxford » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:00 pm

Blatantly, they have sex too...that bit where the golden monkey carresses Boreal's snake leaves very little to the imagination.
The world was all before them, where to choose
Their place of rest, and providence their guide:
They hand in hand with wandering steps and slow
Through Eden took their solitary way
Paradise Lost, Book XII
JoefromOxford
Grazer

Postby Galtar » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:04 pm

Yep, I might have asked that question too soon. (I'm only midway through Northern Lights, but I'm a fast reader :D ) Thanks for the answer. I should really read the whole thing before asking questions like this one...
Anyway if anyone has more details (I'm really not a pervert :roll: ) or opinions on the way that works or should work, please reply.
Tragic irony or poetic justice...
Galtar
Grazer

Yahoo Messenger: noble_samurai_jack

Postby Dante » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:36 pm

When Lyra is reunited with Pan, she asks him what he and Kirjava did while they were away. Pan says he'll tell her when she's older. Of course, it's not spelt out, but it's possible...

somehow the idea of people having sex and nearby two cats or dogs or whatever doing the same thing is sort of repulsive (to me.)

No need to be so polite. I don't think anyone here's into bestiality. :wink:
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Postby A* » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:44 pm

Dante wrote:When Lyra is reunited with Pan, she asks him what he and Kirjava did while they were away. Pan says he'll tell her when she's older. Of course, it's not spelt out, but it's possible...

I thought that was hinting at all the worlds they'd been to? After their coveration with Serafina Pekkala ??
"I don't like that knife," Iorek said.
A*
Grazer

Postby darkemagick » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:08 pm

This is an interesting question, if a bit offbeat. I am all for option three - but I think that while their owners are having sex, the daemons would simply be touching as opposed to doing the deed between themselves too.
"I've nothing against God. It's his irritating little fan clubs that I cannot stand." - Anonymous.

My LJ

darkemagick
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Naomi Silvertongue » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:56 pm

There is sex with the mind. As in mind speech and things like that. Also, Stelmaria was getting a little kinky.
Colonel William Tavington: You know, it's dirty business doing one's duty... but just occasionally it's a real pleasure.

Benjamin Martin: He cannot be held as a spy.
Colonel William Tavington: Oh, we're not going to hold him. We're going to hang him.

Colonel William Tavington: Thank you very much. Shut the doors!
Hardwick: But you said... we'd be forgiven!
Colonel William Tavington: And indeed you may! But that's between you and God.

Colonel William Tavington: Pretty impressive for farmers with pitchforks.
Naomi Silvertongue
Almighty Short One

AOL: OneTreeFunkeHill

Postby Fleur-de-lys » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:34 pm

I always imagined them to get all cuddly, but I can't really imagine a monkey and a cheetah (sp?) having sex. Though it may look funny. :mrgreen:
Fate links me to thee, forever and a day.
http://www.phantomfans.net
Fleur-de-lys
Grazer

Postby BolshyFaker » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:00 pm

You know if I was middway through having sex and I saw a monkey and a cheetah going at it I think I would have to stop from laughing !

Also, what does Pan do when Lyra and Will are getting it on? Will doesn't have a daemon! :P

Maybe Pan just humps Will's leg or something...
BolshyFaker
Grazer

Postby Dante » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:08 pm

Read the books, for god's sake...
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Postby Tomsy » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 pm

BolshyFaker wrote:Also, what does Pan do when Lyra and Will are getting it on? Will doesn't have a dæmon! :P

Pan isn't around at first when Will and Lyra are "getting it on". Then, when he is there, so is Kirjava.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Naomi Silvertongue » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:40 am

Fleur-de-lys wrote:I always imagined them to get all cuddly, but I can't really imagine a monkey and a cheetah (sp?) having sex. Though it may look funny. :mrgreen:

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Yuck,

I can see them getting cuddly, and that is it....
Colonel William Tavington: You know, it's dirty business doing one's duty... but just occasionally it's a real pleasure.

Benjamin Martin: He cannot be held as a spy.
Colonel William Tavington: Oh, we're not going to hold him. We're going to hang him.

Colonel William Tavington: Thank you very much. Shut the doors!
Hardwick: But you said... we'd be forgiven!
Colonel William Tavington: And indeed you may! But that's between you and God.

Colonel William Tavington: Pretty impressive for farmers with pitchforks.
Naomi Silvertongue
Almighty Short One

AOL: OneTreeFunkeHill

Postby jessia » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:04 am

JoefromOxford wrote:Blatantly, they have sex too...that bit where the golden monkey carresses Boreal's snake leaves very little to the imagination.

cross-species?
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Muse » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:30 am

I asked a question like this in the daemon Forum, actually, it was on daemons and masturbation. But it got locked. :x Anyways I assumed that during sex daemons were just playful and loving and that sortof thing. Obviously they wouldnt actually have sex. But what if someone was masturbating? what would their daemon do?
"girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short and wear shirts and boots 'cause it's ok to be a boy, for girls, it's like promotion. but for a boy, to look like a girl is degrading, because secretly you believe that being a girl is degrading"
Muse
Grazer

Postby Tomsy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:07 pm

Muse wrote:But what if someone was masturbating? what would their dæmon do?

This came up briefly before. I think the options are basically:
1) They lend a hand/paw
2) They masturbate themselves, if they have suitable genitalia
3) They chastise their human for doing it. daemons can be seen as a moral concience, I suppose.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Kahlan » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:12 am

abc wrote:

1) They lend a hand/paw
3) They chastise their human for doing it. Dæmons can be seen as a moral concience, I suppose.

ehm.. :killingme:
i there really a discussion on this.... :lol:
well, i guess..no I don't.. i guess abc's 'options' in my opinion is the best..

:roll:
Well after all, we'll lie another day
And through it all, we'll find some other way
Kahlan
Witch

Postby Muse » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:17 am

yeah, those seem reasonable.I think it depends on whether the person feels like its a natural part of life, or if their ashamed about it.
"girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short and wear shirts and boots 'cause it's ok to be a boy, for girls, it's like promotion. but for a boy, to look like a girl is degrading, because secretly you believe that being a girl is degrading"
Muse
Grazer

Postby K!rjava » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:50 pm

Muse wrote:2) They masturbate themselves, if they have suitable genitalia.

But then those titchy insect daemons will miss out on all the fun. :( *tries to imagine a cockroach jerking off* x.X Urgh.

As for what daemons do during their owners' 'whoopee' sessions, I'm with the 'cuddle-cuddle' theory.

- K'java, easily traumatised. ~_~;
K!rjava
Zalif

AOL: kirrjava

Postby Trillian » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:12 pm

Kahlan wrote:
abc wrote:

1) They lend a hand/paw
3) They chastise their human for doing it. Dæmons can be seen as a moral concience, I suppose.

ehm.. :killingme:
i there really a discussion on this.... :lol:
well, i guess..no I don't.. i guess abc's 'options' in my opinion is the best..

:roll:

Really mature.
Trillian
Wanton Antipodean

AOL: tanyadsm

Postby Will » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:56 pm

If Pan turns his back when Lyra has a bath, I can't see him "lending a paw." Actually, having a female daemon always watching you would be rather embarrassing. I suppose you could put her in a casket or something.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk