The Republic of Heaven

daemon/Human Relationship

Discuss general topics related to the series

daemon/Human Relationship

Postby Dove » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:51 pm

I am re-reading the trilogy, as the last time I read it was more than a year ago. I don't know if this is answered later on in the books, if it is, I'm sorry.

What exactly is the relationship between a daemon and a human? Are they one soul in two bodies, or are they more like two closely intertwined beings (like twins)? It seems they often have very similar feelings (although in the beginning of The Golden Compass, Pan is much more reluctant to go into the Retiring Room than Lyra) and, of course, they can feel each other's pain.

So yes...
Dove
Grazer

Re: Dæmon/Human Relationship

Postby Jamie » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:00 am

Dove wrote:Are they one soul in two bodies

one human one animal but yes

Dove wrote:Pan is much more reluctant to go into the Retiring Room than Lyra

I believe this is covered somewhere else but someone said something about the daemon having the opposite feelings or moods to the human i.e. cautious - eager

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Re: Dæmon/Human Relationship

Postby Dove » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:05 am

Jamie wrote:
I believe this is covered somewhere else but someone said something about the dæmon having the opposite feelings or moods to the human i.e. cautious - eager
I see what you mean, but Lyra and Pan have felt anxiety and fear at the same time, although I don't have a specific example. And Pan was able to cure Lyra of her seasickness on the gyptian boat by flying near the water, but that didn't require him being sick himself.

(Yes! It changes da-emons to daemons!)
Dove
Grazer

Postby lostinthought451 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:01 am

Well, the daemon is the person's soul, and the person's brain is their "spirit", so to speak. That's how I saw it, anyway.
FIGMENT.

"The horror, the horror!"
lostinthought451
postpostpost yeah!

Yahoo Messenger: themirrorinsideme
AOL: uhh CONFIRM x

Postby Dove » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:54 pm

Okay, I was reading The Golden Compass last night, and at Bolvangar, it says that Pan flashed an idea into Lyra's mind, indicating that daemons and humans can read each other's minds. However, if this were the case, wouldn't half their conversations go on in their minds only?
Dove
Grazer

Postby Will » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:39 pm

Not really thought through by Pullman there, doesn't look like. I guess people just like to talk.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Dove » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:10 am

AHA!

The Golden Compass, Page 393
We're still one being; both of us are one.

-Lyra to Pantalaimon
Dove
Grazer

Postby Huginn » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:55 am

I think the human/daemon relationship embodies some part of how people can be of "two minds." In this case, the human part will be inclined one way, but the daemon part is more connected to the person's opposing tendencies. For example, a person from our world shirking off homework would have to deal with his/her own inner voice nagging to get stuff done (for some of us more than others, of course). In a world with physical daemons, however, he/she would instead have to put up with the daemon doing the nagging.

This does support the idea that human and daemon are one, but I've come to realize that this only puts them in an opposing relationship; the daemon doesn't come to represent a inner spirit or feeling but only the minority opinion in the person's overall makeup, something that doesn't jive with the soul-concept of a daemon. Although upon considering the effects of death-by-specter, this concept doesn't seem to hold anyway. In contrast, the process of intercission does seem to support the soul analogy. Without the daemon, the body seems...without drive, emotionless, clearly akin to the denizens of the Land of the Dead. Note also how when Lyra talks about Will to the dead Roger, the latter notices how her tone abruptly flattens out, like the dead around him. This suggests that the daemon definitely has something to do with emotional feeling, but curiously, it also implies that simply being disconnected from one's daemon doesn't have quite the same effect as death or intercission.
It just is.
Huginn
Idiocy Reincarnate

AOL: huginn372

Postby Max » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:18 am

Huginn wrote:I think the human/dæmon relationship embodies some part of how people can be of "two minds." In this case, the human part will be inclined one way, but the dæmon part is more connected to the person's opposing tendencies. For example, a person from our world shirking off homework would have to deal with his/her own inner voice nagging to get stuff done (for some of us more than others, of course). In a world with physical dæmons, however, he/she would instead have to put up with the dæmon doing the nagging.

This does support the idea that human and dæmon are one, but I've come to realize that this only puts them in an opposing relationship; the dæmon doesn't come to represent a inner spirit or feeling but only the minority opinion in the person's overall makeup, something that doesn't jive with the soul-concept of a dæmon.

It's a regurgitation of Jungian, Freudian, Platonic, Judeo-Christian and - *spit* - Cartesian theories of human nature - and when I say regurgitation, I mean he's eaten the lot, let them disintegrate and intermingle in his stomach, then projectile vomited them back out. But lordy, the man pukes with style.

[Skip next two paragraphs unless you've really got nothing better to do]

If we assume that Pullman thought all this out, the effects of 'Spectrisation' and Death have interesting implications, as they suggest a complex interdependence. While it is suggested that the daemon is a 'spirit', we see in HDM and Huggin's analogy that it assumes a role more like Plato's rational faculty, or even Freud's superego (Pantalaimon adjures Lyra to observe the College rules, for example). Thus we see the ghost as more like Plato's emotional/expedient faculty, concerned with such things as ambition, honour, pride, love. This fits with Pullman's L-world characters: Lyra above all. Pullman's body then obviously assumes the Platonic instinctual faculty/Freudian id.

I think it is a mistake to view Pullman's LotD ghosts as emotionless. They express strong emotion virtually whenever they speak. However, what they do lack is compulsion, direction, motivation and action: without instinct to compel and rationality to direct, they have no motivation and so only the feeblest, most vague actions. This is also true in, as one would expect, different ways of intercision and Spectre victims.

...I was going to continue this, but I'm trying rather foolishly to make an omelette out of vomit. Anyway, I don't know much about Jung, but I think it fits, by a very great amount, best there.

In Jungian philosophy, there is the anima and the animus. The former is the feminine inner personality of a male, the latter is the male inner personality of a female. Bells ringing already?

This works best if we consider it in terms of our world, which is only fair as Jung was here. The anima was also the "unconscious or true inner self of an individual, as opposed to the person, or outer aspect of the personality." Much like Pullman describes daemons in terms of our worlders. As I say, I dont know much about Jung, so I can't carry it any farther - besides, someone's sure to have brought it up before; the parallels are so strong.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Dove » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:20 pm

Huginn wrote:I think the human/dæmon relationship embodies some part of how people can be of "two minds." In this case, the human part will be inclined one way, but the dæmon part is more connected to the person's opposing tendencies. For example, a person from our world shirking off homework would have to deal with his/her own inner voice nagging to get stuff done (for some of us more than others, of course). In a world with physical dæmons, however, he/she would instead have to put up with the dæmon doing the nagging.

This does support the idea that human and dæmon are one, but I've come to realize that this only puts them in an opposing relationship; the dæmon doesn't come to represent a inner spirit or feeling but only the minority opinion in the person's overall makeup, something that doesn't jive with the soul-concept of a dæmon. Although upon considering the effects of death-by-specter, this concept doesn't seem to hold anyway. In contrast, the process of intercission does seem to support the soul analogy. Without the dæmon, the body seems...without drive, emotionless, clearly akin to the denizens of the Land of the Dead. Note also how when Lyra talks about Will to the dead Roger, the latter notices how her tone abruptly flattens out, like the dead around him. This suggests that the dæmon definitely has something to do with emotional feeling, but curiously, it also implies that simply being disconnected from one's dæmon doesn't have quite the same effect as death or intercission.

...Almost as if daemons are like a foil to the human's personality.
Dove
Grazer

Postby Peter » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:24 pm

The human/daemon pair together contain the sum total of that pair's personality. However, the amounts of the components of that summed personality are not fixed in either the human or the daemon host.
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby SOLmenta » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:31 pm

The dæmons in Lyra's world are equal to the souls in ours.

In Lyra's world, the souls of people are entirely seperate beings from the owner of the soul; in the form of animals.

I can't say I know for sure why humans and their dæmons disagree with each other, but my uneducated guess is that its because dæmons also serve as the humans' consciences.
For example, I want my little sister's chocolate, and am thinking of taking it away from her and eating it. My dæmon would disagree with me, and tell me not to, because although my careless thoughts imply an incessant want for the chocolate, my mind/heart (dæmon) knows better.
<i>"'The time has come,' </i>the walrus said,<i> 'to talk of many things. Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, and cabbages and kings. And why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings. Calloo, callay, no work today! We’re cabbages and kings!</i>'"
SOLmenta
Grazer

AOL: In northernLight

Postby Tomsy » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:39 pm

SOLmenta wrote:For example, I want my little sister's chocolate, and am thinking of taking it away from her and eating it. My dæmon would disagree with me, and tell me not to, because although my careless thoughts imply an incessant want for the chocolate, my mind/heart (dæmon) knows better.

I don't think that daemons always take the moral highground. They could be more tricksy than the human themself!
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Peter » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:47 pm

abc wrote:
SOLmenta wrote:For example, I want my little sister's chocolate, and am thinking of taking it away from her and eating it. My dæmon would disagree with me, and tell me not to, because although my careless thoughts imply an incessant want for the chocolate, my mind/heart (dæmon) knows better.

I don't think that dæmons always take the moral highground. They could be more tricksy than the human themself!

I'm sure they don't:

http://www.bridgetothestars.net/forum/v ... p?t=200999
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Mewtation » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:04 am

I think dæmons are just an extension of one's spirit manifesting itself in the form of an animal outside the body. The reason it's usually the opposite sex as the person is because everyone has a little of each gender in him or her. At least, that's my thoughts on the matter.
Mewtation
Grazer

Postby Rikku26 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:10 pm

when I first read HDM I thought that dæmons were like your conscience it knew what you were thinking and like pan in the retiring room
but as i read on my Perspective changed and I thought that maybe Dæmons were not really there but that the people imagend them because some people in other worlds could see them but the others can not. Then again it changed for 1 final time to say that Dæmons are part of you but only as much as you wish
some people may choose to push away their Dæmon and ignore it or some may choose to love and spoil their Dæmon but never cause it to leave, but of course they can not. my theory my seem confusing but who knows maybe it is true
Maleficent: Beware the darkness in your heart. The Heartless prey upon it-Kingdom Hearts

Astarael, the Sorrowful. The banisher, the final bell. Properly rung, it casts everyone who hears it far into Death. Everyone, including the ringer.
-Old kingdom Trilogy

Does it worry you that you don't talk any kind of sense? ", "One's never alone with a rubber duck. ","Ford had his own code of ethics. It wasn't much of one, but it was his and he stuck by it, more or less. One rule he made was never to buy his own drinks. He wasn't sure if that counted as an ethic, but you have to go with what you've got. " -some where in the book the Ultimate hitchhikers guide
Rikku26
Grazer

AOL: Rikku26

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk