The Republic of Heaven

Anime that reminds me Of HDM

Discuss general topics related to the series

Anime that reminds me Of HDM

Postby Blobcat » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:23 pm

I dont know why but ever since I read the books then looked at some fan art, I was suddenly reminded of an anime series I know called Escaflowne.
I have only ever seen the first 2 episodes but obviously the stories are not similar at all apart from a couple of tiny details.
Its about this girl and boy who meet from different worlds/dimentions who I think fall in love in the end. He looks and acts kinda similiar to how I imagened Will, and the girl has the same coloured hair as I imagened Lyra to have, but this girl having it too short.

I know the charaters in the anime are a bit older (only by a couple of years mind), but looking at images and clips of it now make me think of Will and Lyra.

Heres a link to someones anime music video someone made from the series (scrowl down to downloads and click direct). Even the Angel wing thing going on makes me click back to HDM.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=17732
Chuck ya boyfriend, have a sandwich!
Blobcat
Grazer

Postby modernmike0005 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:32 am

the stories are not similar at all apart from a couple of tiny details.

Its about this girl and boy who meet from different worlds/dimentions who I think fall in love in the end.
????

Thats pretty darn similar if you ask me :wink:

Anyway, i'm not into anime that much so i don't know what to compare it to. Actually I don't think the story would go well in anime at all. Whenever i think about it, it just doesn't fit. Well thats my opinion at least. :?
" The experience is most valuable in this universe"
modernmike0005
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: modernmike005

Postby Silent_Knight » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:35 am

Actually that does make a lot of sense.

I love Escaflowne.

Hitomi uses Tarot in the way Lyra uses the Alethiometer.

Will and Vahn are both strong, silent, thin dark haired young boys with paternal issues and a heck of a lot of responsibility on their shoulders.

----------------------------------------------SPOILER----------------

And by the end the two are parted and forced to live out their lives apart.
"A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day. This day we fight!"
Silent_Knight
Grazer

Postby Kyrillion » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:56 pm

Chuck ya boyfriend, have a sandwich!

Hurrah! ('Don't you just love my hair?')
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby joris12 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:28 pm

there's even an episode called 'lost paradise' :shock:

(paradise lost anyone?)
joris12
Grazer

Postby maneki neko » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:05 am

joris12 wrote:there's even an episode called 'lost paradise' :shock:

(paradise lost anyone?)

That's more serendipidity than anything else. Y'know how it is - most time anime brings in religion as a marketing tool, it'll go whole hog. Eva. Trigun. Witch Hunter Robin.
So that imagination and memory are but one thing,
which for diverse considerations hath diverse names
maneki neko
Gyptian

Postby everlasting » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:31 am

yeah for some reason that movie spirited away reminds me of it. No idea why.
~*!I am the conqueror!*~

"Nay, dear lord," she said, "that choice is long over. There is now no ship that would bear me hence, and I must indeed abide the Doom of Men: the loss and the silence....
'Here ends this tale, as it has come to us from the south; and with the passing of Evenstar no more is said in this book of the days of old.'
everlasting
Grazer

Postby joris12 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:31 pm

how many movies are there?
joris12
Grazer

Postby Kyrillion » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:25 pm

Um... what?

As for Spirited Away, I suppose there's the basic storyline of a young girl going into strange and unfamiliar territory and meeting unexpected allies/enemies. I think Northern Lights shares some of Spirited Away's sense of wonder and profundity...

I always loved that quote (is it the TLS?) often on the cover of British paperbacks: 'Rarely if ever have readers been offered such a rich casket of wonders', and I think SA shares that sense.
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Spirited Away and Kingdom Hearts

Postby marzzbar » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:27 am

Hmmm, yeah. I liked Spirited Away. It's funny, I just recently watched that movie whilst I was in the middle of reading His Dark Materials.
They are pretty different. Lyra in my imagination is totally different from Chihiro. Though I guess they are around the same age.

Actually, I just thought of something. I've been playing Kingdom Hearts, and I've noticed they're a little bit similar. They both have a concept of different worlds, though in Kingdom Hearts they don't 'overlap' and they are completely different from one another. Instead of the Subtle Knife, the main character has a 'keyblade', which is used to lock the door of each world to protect it from the heartless. The subtle knife actually has an opposite effect, as each time it is used to open a window a spectre is created, and dust can flow through it into the abyss. Also, in KH, the darkness is responsible for 'tearing down the walls between the worlds', and once the darkness is gone, the 'walls' will be restored, and it will be impossible to travel between worlds. I'm not quite sure what happens because I haven't finished it yet :P , but I know in TAS all the windows have to be closed to stop the Dust from escaping, though the one from the land of the dead could be let open (only one...:cry:)
marzzbar
Grazer

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk