The Republic of Heaven

M: The Society For The Protection Of His Dark Materials

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

M: The Society For The Protection Of His Dark Materials

Postby Soapy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:55 pm

Who doesn't want an HDM movie?

I don't, and neither does Zemarl.

Who will join us????

You get a free :drink: when you join. And also a big :cute: and you can sleep at night knowing that HDM will not be ruined by the gits up in Hollywood.

Edit: I've decided to call it that instead of The No HDM Movie Association, to explain why I don't want a movie.

Edit 2: If you are only now stumbling across this thread, here is our website
Last edited by Soapy on Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby zemarl » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:57 pm

"knowing" hah. we've got to put a stop to it before we "know" anything. i move to collect donations for the... er... fund of... *goes off to think of something*
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby Soapy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:59 pm

zemarl wrote:"knowing" hah. we've got to put a stop to it before we "know" anything. i move to collect donations for the... er... fund of... *goes off to think of something*

I wonder if we could buy the rights to it, and keep it somewhere no one will ever find it. And then we can lobby Parliament into making it law that there shall never be a movie.

Why do they need one anyway?
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby jessia » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:45 pm

:shifty: i want to see hdm on the big screen.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Ian » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:28 pm

jessia wrote::shifty: i want to see hdm on the big screen.

Yes, I'm inclined to agree, if only for the reason that it will probably be so bad that I can spend a long time happily complaining/debating/muttering about it, before deciding that the books are far superior anyway.

I can see your point of view though hermit and zemarl, it is a very real concern, and probably a correct one, that hollywood are gonna screw up one of their best film making opportunities of the century. We've just got to try to not be upset by it when they do.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Soapy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:33 pm

And even if they don't screw it up, how many of us want an influx of newbies who saw the movie and liked it so much that they considered themselves fans? Some wouldn't even have read it - and would probably insist that the movie is better and argue about issues that they know nothing about because they only know what they saw in the film. It's happened with LotR and HP, do we really want that to happen to our beloved HDM?

I don't, for sure.

Moreover, what if you see the film and decide it's better? How could you ever live with yourself?

I couldn't.
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby jessia » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:48 pm

i can question whether some of the n00bs we've had around here have even read the book...

movies can't be better than books, they're a completely different medium. one might be more enjoyable, but considering that i read the books first... it's always going to be the books first.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Ian » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:10 pm

hermit wrote:Moreover, what if you see the film and decide it's better? How could you ever live with yourself?

It won't happen, trust me. As for the n00bs, I guess you're right. I thought I was an annoying n00b, but it seems that compared to some I was angelic, and as Jess says, I've actually read the books. For me it will also always be the books. It was such an experience reading them the first time, and has been everytime since. Then come the audiobooks, which are simply magical, followed by the stageplay which was exquisite. I find it hard to think that the film will be anywhere near being a decent 4th. Maybe a reasonable 7th?

Edit: 999 posts! The next one is the big one! *Takes deep breath*

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby zemarl » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:20 pm

it's not just that the movie will never do justice to the books, it's the principle. they don't HAVE to make movies out of every great book ever written. if they do that, no one will read anymore. books will become obsolete. there's really nothing like having a thick stack of bound paper in the pages of which is written an impossible (or better yet, true) story, different in each and every imagination. it's like a photograph to capture memory with an image, but better, because you see with your mind and not your eyes. anyone can use their eyes. books are for those one step above all the other animals. *i'm just illustrating a point here, don't rush to crucify me for not loving animals*
sure if they tried hard enough they could make it about as good as they made harry potter (take that however your opinion takes it) or lord of the rings, but they shouldn't.
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Postby Taroh » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:22 pm

idk i kinda agree with you. It would be nice if there was a movie, but knowing how they have butchered up books in the past when making movies :( i think it would be better if they didnt make a movie, b/c can they really fit everything in the book into a movie. probably not, and if there gonna make a movie it should be word for word, nothing left out.
Taroh
Armoured Bear

AOL: GHfanatic89

Postby Jamie » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:24 pm

*Dives at Ian screaming "Noooo!!!" and desperately trying to drag him away from the keyboard*

I think I should become a legionary in the "Denial Squad" of FAA :)

As for when the film arrives, we should invoke some sort of 5 post Newbie rule. If the newbie has not said anything worthwhile in 5 posts, instant ban. Useless posts along the lines of: "Omg! dis film roxx!! Will is, like, sooo fit" etc.

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby zemarl » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:25 pm

you, sir, are bordering on harsh, and coming from me that says a lot.
*removes one gold star from jamie's chart*
*notices he hasn't any gold stars to remove*
*is satisfied*
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Postby Soapy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:27 pm

zemarl wrote:it's not just that the movie will never do justice to the books, it's the principle. they don't HAVE to make movies out of every great book ever written. if they do that, no one will read anymore. books will become obsolete. there's really nothing like having a thick stack of bound paper in the pages of which is written an impossible (or better yet, true) story, different in each and every imagination. it's like a photograph to capture memory with an image, but better, because you see with your mind and not your eyes. anyone can use their eyes. books are for those one step above all the other animals. *i'm just illustrating a point here, don't rush to crucify me for not loving animals*
sure if they tried hard enough they could make it about as good as they made harry potter (take that however your opinion takes it) or lord of the rings, but they shouldn't.

I'm not kidding, I do actually love you *swoons*

Yes, yes and thrice YES!

*gets carried away*

*snogs Zemarl's face off*
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Jamie » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:33 pm

Measures must be taken to protect the boards! Do you want to see threads entitled "lira and w1ll! awh blesss!!" popping up everywhere?

I eat any gold starts I manage to thieve from other people's charts. :smiley:

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby zemarl » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:39 pm

you're giving them ideas. stop it. *smacks jamie and does away with gold star charts entirely*

hermit... mwah. ;)
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Postby Ian » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:43 pm

hermit wrote:*snogs Zemarl's face off*

*zemarls face is gone*

Jamie wrote:Do you want to see threads entitled "lira and w1ll! awh blesss!!" popping up everywhere?

We undoubtedly will all the same, but by the time the film is released, we may have developed a way of sending huge electric shocks to the computers of all n00bs who post such threads.

Jamie wrote:If the newbie has not said anything worthwhile in 5 posts, instant ban.

Not instant, but certainly a PM or something telling them that they are spamming, which is unpopular and unless they buck up their ideas, they will be out. We should give everyone a good 10 to 15 posts. It took me like 50 or 60 to settle in, and 400 to actually start being vaguely sensible.

zemarl wrote:you, sir, are bordering on harsh, and coming from me that says a lot.
*removes one gold star from jamie's chart*
*notices he hasn't any gold stars to remove*
*is satisfied*

:P

And Taroh made a fair point. First one you've made well done.

And finally, yes, this is my 1000th post!

*celebrates*

:drink:

Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Ripper » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:46 pm

jessia wrote::shifty: i want to see hdm on the big screen.

As do I.
What do you have to lose? If they make a bad movie; fine it's a bad movie. That won't change your opinion on the books, will it? And if some people say the books are bad because of the movie, then they're morons.
I'd rather see a bad movie than no movie at all.
Ripper
Gallivespian Spy

Postby zemarl » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:47 pm

look, speaking as someone who loves movies, and appreciates a whole lot more about them than i ought even to put up with, i don't think it's about the quality anymore.
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Postby Ripper » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:49 pm

zemarl wrote:look, speaking as someone who loves movies, and appreciates a whole lot more about them than i ought even to put up with, i don't think it's about the quality anymore.

Are you saying you wouldn't want to see an HDM movie, even if it won 12 Oscars?
Ripper
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Dante » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:49 pm

zemarl wrote:it's not just that the movie will never do justice to the books, it's the principle.... <stuff> ...sure if they tried hard enough they could make it about as good as they made harry potter (take that however your opinion takes it) or lord of the rings, but they shouldn't.

but what about attracting more people to the books and such? i'll admit the thinking behind your argument is fairly sound, but i just want to see hdm get put up on the screen. partly because i want to be able to say that i knew and loved it before it got made into a film, partly because i just do.

EDIT - Hmm, no. Just doesn't work.
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations