The Republic of Heaven

Different titles

Discuss general topics related to the series

Different titles

Postby Kinders » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:15 am

I've been dawdling about the French Citagazze web site. Is Northern Lights called Kingdoms of the North 'cross the sea? Are there any other differing titles?

I joined this forum shortly after turning 17, and for several years was liable to be
any combination of angry, self-righteous, naive, uninformed, curt and belligerent.
Luckily this teenage attitude is only occasionally evident in my posts - but where
it is, I apologise, and ask you to read them with the understanding that I am no
longer quite so consumed by any of those characteristics.

My website
Kinders
Good egg

Postby Stargirl » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:38 am

what do you mean? like are there any diffrent titles in english? or when the title are translated? you mean like Norhtern lights in britain and the golden compass in US right?

Es mejor morrir parada que vivir en tus rodillas."
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna
Stargirl
Si te amo

Postby Kinders » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:46 am

I wonder if the books have any other titles beside Northern Lights, The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. Anywhere.

I joined this forum shortly after turning 17, and for several years was liable to be
any combination of angry, self-righteous, naive, uninformed, curt and belligerent.
Luckily this teenage attitude is only occasionally evident in my posts - but where
it is, I apologise, and ask you to read them with the understanding that I am no

My website
Kinders
Good egg

Postby Dragon of Heaven » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:48 am

I remember they had an article on the site about what the books are called in different countries but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. For example one country (I can’t remember) calls the second book The Tower of Angels, which sounds pretty cool.
Dragon of Heaven
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Kathleen » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:00 am

I seem to remember the trilogy being called 'His Dark Matters' but I don't know if I was mistaken or not.
Kathleen
Witch

Re: Different titles

Postby Will » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:16 am

Kinders wrote:I've been dawdling about the French Citagazze web site. Is Northern Lights called Kingdoms of the North 'cross the sea? Are there any other differing titles?

'Tis, yeah. I'm damn sure we either had a great thread on this, or something on the site. There's always the cover art to check:

http://www.bridgetothestars.net/index.php?d=coverart

edit: In fact, here's that second French title:

Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Kinders » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:30 am

Crossing of the Worlds? Is that the name of the series in France?

The "Catalan" (where is that?) edition of book two appears to be called just, "The Knife" (or "The Dagger").

My website
Kinders
Good egg

Postby Taroh » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:29 pm

Kathleen wrote:I seem to remember the trilogy being called 'His Dark Matters' but I don't know if I was mistaken or not.

You would be correct. :) That’s why I think that the best titles are The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass, although they are not exactly “materials,â€
"There are two ways of spreading light: To be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."
~Edith Wharton
"Rage More!" ~Paulie Skyes

Amy Brown is my idol!!
Taroh
Armoured Bear

AOL: GHfanatic89

Postby Will » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:59 pm

Kinders wrote:Crossing of the Worlds? Is that the name of the series in France?

The "Catalan" (where is that?) edition of book two appears to be called just, "The Knife" (or "The Dagger").

(Kin, click the thumb to get a bigger version.) 'Tis in Spain.

Well, I don't suppose anyone wants to compile a collection of all the names do they? :P
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby krebbe » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:09 pm

Taroh wrote:
Kathleen wrote:I seem to remember the trilogy being called 'His Dark Matters' but I don't know if I was mistaken or not.

You would be correct. :) That’s why I think that the best titles are The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass, although they are not exactly “materials,â€
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Join BttS Chat on irc.quakenet.org #btts
chat forum topic
chat channel statistics
krebbe
Stultifyingly Substantiated

Postby Melancholy Man » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:54 pm

Oh, please let me be the one who says it... it ain't a friggin' compass!
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Taroh » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:09 pm

Melancholy Man wrote:Oh, please let me be the one who says it... it ain't a friggin' compass!

well yeh we all know that
"There are two ways of spreading light: To be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."
~Edith Wharton
"Rage More!" ~Paulie Skyes

Amy Brown is my idol!!
Taroh
Armoured Bear

AOL: GHfanatic89

Postby Kyrillion » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:22 pm

AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

Do we HAVE to go here again? Since the people who live in Britain seem to be the ones that prefer Northern Lights and the people in America the ones that prefer The Golden Compass, can;t we just be happy we have the relevantly-named editions in out own countries and stick something in the commandments about NEVER RAISING THIS SUBJECT AGAIN?

Ahem.

As for titles that translate differently I guess they use a different one wherever it can't be directly translated. Or so one would think... but why should the Catalan translator take the 'subtle' out of the title? Surely there's a comparible word in Catalan?
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby Calix » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:14 pm

Kyrillion wrote:As for titles that translate differently I guess they use a different one wherever it can't be directly translated. Or so one would think... but why should the Catalan translator take the 'subtle' out of the title? Surely there's a comparible word in Catalan?

Perhaps it was simple creative choice. Even if things can be translated perfectly, I see a lot of times they change the title in other countries. It's usually still relevant, of course, so I've never had a problem with this.
Calix
Witch

Postby DutchCrunch » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:35 am

Often you just don't get around translating a title.
In English The Subtle Knife sounds special and wonderful, but in a literal translation to Dutch the subtle (even though it is the same word) sounds off and weak.
It has a lot to do with how language is used.
DutchCrunch
Witch

Postby manda » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:12 am

Wow, you sound so educated DutchCrunch.

Otherwise I agree with Kyrillion.
AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

Do we HAVE to go here again? Since the people who live in Britain seem to be the ones that prefer Northern Lights and the people in America the ones that prefer The Golden Compass, can;t we just be happy we have the relevantly-named editions in out own countries and stick something in the commandments about NEVER RAISING THIS SUBJECT AGAIN?

*nods head vigorously*
We must build the Republic of Heaven in the dryer...

Bolvangesque: Simplify your mind by cutting away your soul.

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
manda
Gallivespian Spy

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow... Where blue birds fly...

Postby binni » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:32 pm

If you translate the title of the Icelandic version of TAS (Skugga Sjónaukinn) back to English, it'd be "The Shadow Spyglass"
binni
Gyptian

Postby Alewyn » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:14 am

binni wrote:If you translate the title of the Icelandic version of TAS (Skugga Sjónaukinn) back to English, it'd be "The Shadow Spyglass"

now that's interesting
Meraa mitra yahaan aaiye.

Of course, if dryers were the link between the worlds, then Will would be spending all his free time jumping into dryers.

Alewyn
Witch

Postby kyrabelacqua » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:36 am

I'm pretty sure the Greek Northern Lights is called something like 'The Star Of The North'. That's really dumb. Don't they have a word for the Aurora?
kyrabelacqua
Armoured Bear

Postby Alewyn » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:37 am

you seriously think that i paid attention in greek school?
Meraa mitra yahaan aaiye.

Of course, if dryers were the link between the worlds, then Will would be spending all his free time jumping into dryers.

Alewyn
Witch

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk