The Republic of Heaven

daemons eating instead of you.

Discuss general topics related to the series

daemons eating instead of you.

Postby the shaman » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:28 pm

i noticed that peoples daemons dont eat, drink, or go to the toilet but people do.

so do you think that if your daemon ate and drank instead of you that you would never have to yourself all your life?
the shaman
Zalif

Postby KittyKat » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:52 pm

Maybe the daemon's just a smaller part of you than you? Your ghost doesn't do anything like that either. It's possibly like having a talent and also hidden talents.
Jellybaby?

Now I'm through my hyperactive kid stage, and into moody teenager stage of evolution. ~*iguana*~ off!

The topic or post you requested does not exist

I can't get the piccie in, but I am Post Whore Sraffie '07.
Honest.

If you see a leaf blow past you in the wind...
it's the metaphor for my sanity and I lost it again. Please call 0800 - 555 - 666 to claim your 10p reward.
KittyKat
Angel

Location: Where troubles melt like lemon drops (that's where you'll find me on weekends)

Re: dæmons eating instead of you.

Postby Jez » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:01 pm

Occasionally Pan does eat something in the books - he searches for crumbs as a goldfinch and munches on a couple of insects as a swallow. But it doesn't seem like daemons actually need to eat.

the shaman wrote:so do you think that if your dæmon ate and drank instead of you that you would never have to yourself all your life?

No, I don't think this is possible. It's the body that needs sustenance, not the daemon. That's my view anyway.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Last_Abhorsen » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:27 pm

I agree with Jez, i don't think it would be possible.
dæmons might be a part of you, but it's more of a spiritual connection than a physical.
Regards Fredrik a.k.a Abhorsen

My Msn(feel free to add):
Last_Abhorsen@hotmail.com
------------------------------------------------------
The mind is its own place, and in itself, can create a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.
-John Milton
Last_Abhorsen
Grazer

Postby Stargirl » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:05 am

I think that they probably could eat if they want to, but they don't need o and people do. And I expec if they did eat hen they would have to go to the bathroom. :)

Es mejor morrir parada que vivir en tus rodillas."
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
Stargirl
Si te amo

Postby Claire de la Lune » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:38 am

It could also be very messy if daemons had to eat. What happens if they eat something they don't agree with? Would you have a sick soul? And if you did have a sick daemon, would that be something like having your soul vomit? I don't image that feeling very good. :?
Claire de la Lune
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Mockingbird » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:11 pm

Perhaps it's like angels eating. Balthamos ate a Mint cookie or something and told Will that he enjoys food from time to time but doesn't need it. And there is another thread here somewhere discussing the similarities between angels and daemons.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Jaya » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:29 pm

I wonder how you'd feed a daemon that was a fish or something. I mean, you could only feed them crumbs and fishfood, it seems. I can't say I've ever thought about daemons eating...is it mentioned anywhere in the books?
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Somewhat » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:07 am

Yeah, Pan occasionally eats something but it doesn't look like he actually needs to.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Claire de la Lune » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:02 am

I suppose daemons would only eat if it tickled their fancy. I suppose you could compare it to a human playing ping-pong on a Sunday afternoon. They do not have to, but they want to.
Claire de la Lune
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Stargirl » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:49 am

When does pan eat anything? I don't doubt it happend i just don't remember the part. But i think it's like the angels not having to eat but they can if they want. or, sorry to compare it to another book, but if anyone has read twilight by stephenie mayer, its like edward not having to eat but it doesnt hurt him if he does.

Es mejor morrir parada que vivir en tus rodillas."

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
Stargirl
Si te amo

Postby Daniel » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:26 am

Pan starts "pecking at invisible crumbs" on the table in Ci'gazze the morning after meeting Will, while Lyra and Will are talking. Pan doesn't just do this at random, though. To someone from Lyra's world, this is a gesture that clearly says "wei're a bit more comfortable around you now." His form and behavior are the right metaphor for Lyra's situation with respect to Will: not afraid to come closer, but still ready to take flight if she decides he's dangerous.

At one point I think he's also found "snapping at moths" (or maybe flies), but I don't remember enough context to know what that meant, and my copies of the books are far, far away right now. (In fact, quite possibly farther than they've ever been... heh.)
*sigh* Well, at least you tried.
Daniel
Tinkerer

AOL: polveroj

Postby Elanorielle » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:45 pm

daemons are not domestic animals, though mrs.Coulter told Lyra that they could be. =) daemons in fact are not animals at all, they only look like animals. daemon is a soul, non-material being, and food for soul, you know, is not a material food. =)
Homo homini lumen est
Elanorielle
Grazer

Yahoo Messenger: elanorielle@yahoo.com

Postby AUST » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:50 am

A deaamon is part of your soul and is directly linked to your body, so I presume that they don't need food, if their owner dies of starvation then they do, they can't eat to replace lost substance.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Nimue » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:02 pm

AUST wrote:A deaamon is part of your soul and is directly linked to your body, so I presume that they don't need food, if there owner dies of starvation then they do, they can't eat to replace lost substance.

I agree, and a daemon is the soul of the human, not the other way around, i don't think it would do much difference if the daemon ate anything.
Nimue
Grazer

Postby Claire de la Lune » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:43 am

Steering clear of definitions, I still am pondering what happens if your daemon becomes nauseated. Would the human become nauseated? Do daemons become sick when the human is sick? I don't recall if that was only for injuries or if that includes illness too?
All people are born alike -- except Democrats and Republicans. - Groucho Marx :P

I always wanted to be an explorer, but it seemed I was doomed to be nothing more than a very silly person Michael Palin :D
Claire de la Lune
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Jez » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:26 pm

Claire de la Lune wrote:Steering clear of definitions, I still am pondering what happens if your dæmon becomes nauseated. Would the human become nauseated? Do dæmons become sick when the human is sick? I don't recall if that was only for injuries or if that includes illness too?

I don't know if a daemon would become nauseated but I imagine that if it did, the human wouldn't feel too good either. I think in regards to sickness, the daemon is more likely to display signs of illness if the illness is more of a mental problem rather than physical. Farder Coram isn't in good physical condition, but his daemon is healthy. Also, Lyra gets seasick but at the same time Pan is having fun flying over the waves, which apparently helps to distract her.

Then again, I think that if one feels pain, so does the other. At least, that's how it seems in the books.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Somewhat » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:46 am

I don't think daemons can actually get sick. I think their image relies totally on their human, because as far as I can see apart from the technicality that they are solid they are just images. So no, I don't think a human would get nauseated because their daemon did, only because their daemon could never get nauseated or sick in the first place.
And even then, as Jez said, daemons portray more emotional sickness than physical since they are an image of the human's soul/spirit.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Amanda » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:09 am

Basically, my view of the matter is that it's the body that needs to eat, it's the body that needs to be supported by nutritions and such but the daemon (soul) doesn't, because, as said before, it shares a spiritual connection more than a physical one. Therefore, the daemon can eat but doing so won't help support the body in any way as its connection to the body is spiritual.

Also, on the nauseous thing, I get the impression, not sure why though, that if the human is ill the daemon is ill as well. I think it's in Lyra's Oxford where Lyra and Pantalaimon are suspicious of the bird daemon because it says that its human is very ill, yet he's not ill or somethin similar to that. But that seems to contradict Lyra feeling seasick but Pantalaimon (seemingly) feeling fine...
Amanda
Grazer

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk