The Republic of Heaven

Lyra's world => Will's world races?

Discuss general topics related to the series

Lyra's world => Will's world races?

Postby MSimm62385 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:40 am

Anybody know for sure what races of people correspond to each other?

I know for sure that Musovite = Russian.

The ones I assumed were:

Samoyed = Inuit?
Tartar = Native American-like?
Skraeling = Another indian tribe?
Pole = Polish?
Yoruba = No clue whatsoever.
Stroke of luck or a gift from God?
Hand of fate or Devil's claws?
From below or saints above,
You came to me.
Here comes the cold again.
I feel it closing in.
It's falling down and all around me, falling...

http://www.pagerealm.com/msimm62385
MSimm62385
Grazer

AOL: MSimm62385

Re: Lyra's world => Will's world races?

Postby Nix » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:59 am

MSimm62385 wrote:Tartar = Native American-like?

They are (or at least were) real peoples in our world. I think they are siberian. The ones in Lyra's world were definatly in the north as John Parry met them when he was in the north and Lee sailed to the north to find Grumman

MSimm62385 wrote:Skraeling = Another indian tribe?

I presumed they were another russian one but now i think of it, perhaps they could have been native amerians

MSimm62385 wrote:Pole = Polish?

Polish people are called Poles Anyway
Nix
Bene Elim

Postby Will » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:38 pm

Muscovites and Tartars are both people who live in the Russian areas (and partly Balkans). They're real in our world, just like Angles and Jutes live in England.
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby jessia » Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:46 pm

skraelings is a reference to native americans... but they never get to north america in the trilogy, so it may refer to aboriginal peoples of europe??

Tar·tar [trtər]
n
1. peoples language See Tatar
2. tar·tar
Tar·tar
fearsome person: a fearsome or ferocious person (offensive in some contexts)

[14th century. Directly or via French from medieval Latin Tartarus (influenced by Tartarus in Latin ), an alteration of a Turkish word.]
Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2003. © 1993-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Ta·tar [ttər]
or Tar·tar [trtər]
n (plural Ta·tars) (plural Tar·tars)
1. peoples member of historical Central Asian people: a member of a people that originally came from eastern Central Asia and who established a huge empire stretching into Serbia, Russia, and Ukraine. The Tatars joined with the Mongols and their combined empire flourished until the 16th century, when they were defeated by the Russians and the Ottoman Turks.
2. peoples descendant of Tatars: a descendant of the Tatar people. Most now live in an area of European Russia between the Volga River and the Ural Mountains, with communities in Crimea and Siberia.
3. language Tatar language: The Turkic language of the Tatar people. Tatar is spoken by about 6 million people.

adj
of Tatar people: relating to the Tatar people, their empire, or their culture

[Early 17th century. From Turkish .]
Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2003. © 1993-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Sam·o·yed [sámmə yèd, sám oy yèd]
n
1. (plural Sam·o·yeds or Sam·o·yed)peoples member of a Siberian people: a member of a people living traditionally as reindeer herders in far northeastern European Russia and western Siberia
2. language Samoyed language: the group of languages spoken by the Samoyed peoples. They belong to the Uralic family of languages, are related to Finno-Ugric, and are sometimes classified as belonging to the Ural-Altaic group.
3. zoology Siberian dog: a dog belonging to a Siberian breed that has a thick creamy-white coat, distinctive ruff, and tightly-curled tail

Yo·ru·ba [yáwrəbə]
n
1. peoples member of West African people: a member of a West African people living mostly in Nigeria
2. language Yoruba language: a language spoken in southwestern Nigeria, Benin and Togo. It belongs to the Niger-Congo language family and is spoken by about 20 million people.
3. region of city-states in Nigeria: a region of city-states that developed in northern Nigeria around ad 1200, notable for the population’s animistic religion and their artistic work, in particular wood and bronze pieces

i should depend less on encarta...
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk