New Line announced today that the official website for His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass is now online at www.goldencompassmovie.com. The site features never-before-seen images from the set, concept art, an alethiometer feature (certain symbol combinations will unlock extra concept art–see the solution), and more information about the upcoming film. Read the Full Press Release
Update: Photos of Eva Green as Serafina Pekkala–without blonde hair–have been added to the site. (Thanks to J for the tip)
A few things we've learnt about the film from the site:
- Armored bears to be called 'ice bears'; although still panserbjorne.
- Daemon to be pronounced 'day-mon' instead of 'dee-mon'.
- Concept art gives Lyra's world a curious mix of high- and old-technology.
- Magisterium increasingly looking like plain political fascists.
- Fra Pavel, instead of the Master, apparently to poison Lord Asriel.
- Serafina not blonde after all!
NEW LINE CINEMA LAUNCHES OFFICIAL WEBSITE FOR
UPCOMING FANTASY EPIC THE GOLDEN COMPASS
Site Debuts Exactly One Year Before Filmâ€™s Worldwide Release
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 7, 2006) â€“ New Line Cinema will launch the official website for its upcoming fantasy epic The Golden Compass (www.goldencompassmovie.com) on December 7th, a year to the date of the filmâ€™s scheduled worldwide release, it was announced today by New Lineâ€™s President and COO of Worldwide Distribution and Marketing Rolf Mittweg.
â€œThe Golden Compass already has a remarkable following thanks to the success of the books and thereâ€™s a great deal of anticipation for this film,â€ says Mittweg. â€œWeâ€™re excited to share some of these first images from the production with fans all over the world, and to introduce this story to people who may not be familiar with the books.â€
Producer Deborah Forte adds, â€œPhilip Pullman created an amazing world in his books, and this website gives fans the opportunity to explore that world in an interactive way.â€
At launch, The Golden Compass website will feature exclusive content about the filmâ€™s production including more than a dozen first-look images from the set as well as striking concept art. The content will be available in 11 languages and will include:
- The Alethiometer: Derived from the Greek words for â€œtruthâ€ and â€œmeasure,â€ the Alethiometer is a virtual re-creation of the device used in the film to decipher the truth. Users are able to select and examine its arcane symbols â€“ and to unlock hidden website content if they choose the right ones.
- The World of The Golden Compass: A unique look at the characters and locations in the film including photos of the acclaimed cast (which includes Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, Sam Elliot, Ian McShane and newcomer Dakota Blue Richards) in character as well as production concept art which offers a sneak peek at some scenes in the film.
Based on author Philip Pullmanâ€™s bestselling and award-winning novel, The Golden Compass tells the first story in Pullmanâ€™s His Dark Materials trilogy. The Golden Compass is an exciting fantasy adventure, set in an alternative world where peopleâ€™s souls manifest themselves as animals, talking bears fight wars, and Gyptians and witches co-exist. At the center of the story is Lyra (played by newcomer Dakota Blue Richards), a 12-year-old girl who starts out trying to rescue a friend whoâ€™s been kidnapped by a mysterious organization known as the Gobblers â€“ and winds up on an epic quest to save not only her world, but ours as well. The Golden Compass stars an ensemble cast that includes Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, Sam Elliott, and Ian McShane. The film is written and directed by Chris Weitz (About A Boy, Antz) and produced by Deborah Forte and Bill Carraro (Frequency). It is executive produced by Andrew Miano and Paul Weitz (In Good Company). The Golden Compass is scheduled for a Dec. 7, 2007 release.
About New Line Cinema Corporation:
Founded almost 40 years ago, New Line Cinema is the most successful independent film company in the world. Its mission is to produce innovative, popular and profitable entertainment in the best creative environment. In addition to the production, marketing and distribution of theatrical motion pictures, the fully-integrated studio has divisions devoted to home entertainment, television, music, theater, merchandising and an international unit. In 2005, New Line partnered with HBO to form Picturehouse, a new theatrical distribution company to release independent films. A pioneer in franchise filmmaking, New Lineâ€™s Oscar-winning The Lord of the Rings trilogy is one of the most successful film franchises in history. New Line is a division of Time Warner, Inc. (TWX).